Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Painting I Love That Won't Sell
The Painting I Love That Won't Sell
This is one of my personal favorites of my own work.  But it isn't a public favorite.   I still have it and just hung it over the piano..   I've sold just three prints.  Generally,  paintings are entered into shows in pairs.  One gets in or neither, but not both.  While it's mate has gotten in, this painting never has.  Am I  just enamored of it because of the technical difficulty of painting it?   Is it bad? Does it simply lack popular appeal?  Usually I know how I've gone wrong  What's wrong with this one?  Looking for serious critique, not, yes it's very nice.

[Image: Paint-Tube-Hills-small.jpg]
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: The Painting I Love That Won't Sell
I'll preface this by saying that I don't know how to paint, so I'm hardly competent to judge. But when has that ever stopped me

In this one, the technique how the paint tubes are done, and how objects on the "painting" are differentiated from the virtual painting, is very nice. What bothers me a bit is the composition of the picture in particular the brushes. They are symmetrical, but not pointing to anything in particular, and there is a lot of empty space in the middle.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(April 25, 2016 at 4:38 pm)Alex K Wrote: I'll preface this by saying that I don't know how to paint, so I'm hardly competent to judge. But when has that ever stopped me

In this one, the technique how the paint tubes are done, and how objects on the "painting" are differentiated from the virtual painting, is very nice. What bothers me a bit is the composition of the picture in particular the brushes. They are symmetrical, but not pointing to anything in particular, and there is a lot of empty space in

You don't need to know how to paint, only how to articulate what you like and don't,  and better yet, why.  Thank you.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Unfortunately, when it comes to art people prefer this:

[Image: reddot.jpg]

Million dollar painting right there.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
That's pretty damned good. I like it meaning the OP.

Got a Rockwell hint to it, like a old time dime store with a soda fountain and Nickleodeon and shoe shine. 

But I can only say I like it, which makes all art subjective. Most Picassos I don't like.
I like it, not sure why galleries don't. Maybe it's the appeal thing. They think that only a painter will appreciate it? Maybe?

What is the title?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I wonder if you have to be a painter yourself to appreciate it? I can appreciate the skill it took to paint it but I can't think of anywhere in my environment where I'd hang it because we don't paint. I would always pick a piece to live with that elicited a pleasing feeling, in any of a multitude of ways. This one doesn't get my brain or my heart going so much.

Sometimes group shows are themed in ways which might fit this piece to a T though. Plenty of painters have made works that are self referential regarding the media in one way or another. This would surely fit there.
I painted my shed last year, and I'd sell it in a fast minute.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
What, an installation piece? What do you want for it? Pricey no doubt.
I'll pay you $50 to haul it away. You get the contents as well: an assortment of garden tools in various stages of decrepitude; half a tin of paint that was there when we moved in, and is now hardened to the consistency a tax assessor's heart; a collection of cobwebs guaranteed to make you the envy of every spider in your neighbourhood; and (best for last) the skeletons of several smallish animals. Might be rodents, might be lizards.

How soon can you come and collect it?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Painting, sculpting, disappearing? Macoleco 33 3194 June 2, 2022 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
Sad Painting on a car? zwanzig 40 4355 May 3, 2021 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: zwanzig
  Won't You Be My Neighbor Shell B 27 1860 June 23, 2018 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Joods
  "Get Out" won best original screenplay? Foxaèr 21 3364 March 5, 2018 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye