Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nasty Bible passages.
Nasty Bible passages.
I wish that this could be a sticky.  Contributions are, of course, most welcome!
  • Numbers 31:15-18:  [15] Moses said to them, "Have you let all the women live? [16] Behold, these caused the people of Israel, by the counsel of Balaam, to act treacherously against the LORD in the matter of Pe'or, and so the plague came among the congregation of the LORD. [17] Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. [18] But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
  • Deuteronomy 7:1-2:  [1] "When the LORD your God brings you into the land which you are entering to take possession of it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Gir'gashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Per'izzites, the Hivites, and the Jeb'usites, seven nations greater and mightier than yourselves, [2] and when the LORD your God gives them over to you, and you defeat them; then you must utterly destroy them; you shall make no covenant with them, and show no mercy to them."
  • Joshua 6:16-21:  [16] And at the seventh time, when the priests had blown the trumpets, Joshua said to the people, "Shout; for the LORD has given you the city. [17] And the city and all that is within it shall be devoted to the LORD for destruction; only Rahab the harlot and all who are with her in her house shall live, because she hid the messengers that we sent. [18] But you, keep yourselves from the things devoted to destruction, lest when you have devoted them you take any of the devoted things and make the camp of Israel a thing for destruction, and bring trouble upon it. [19] But all silver and gold, and vessels of bronze and iron, are sacred to the LORD; they shall go into the treasury of the LORD." [20] So the people shouted, and the trumpets were blown. As soon as the people heard the sound of the trumpet, the people raised a great shout, and the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. [21] Then they utterly destroyed all in the city, both men and women, young and old, oxen, sheep, and asses, with the edge of the sword.
  • I Samuel 15:1-3:  [1] And Samuel said to Saul, "The LORD sent me to anoint you king over his people Israel; now therefore hearken to the words of the LORD. [2] Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'I will punish what Am'alek did to Israel in opposing them on the way, when they came up out of Egypt. [3] Now go and smite Am'alek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.'"
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/r/rsv/browse.h...rowse.html
RE: Nasty Bible passages.
John 3:16: 'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.' I've always found this one particularly horrifying.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's totally weird that God orders them to kill all the animals. What's the point of it? Perhaps it's hyperbole.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I like the one about bashing babies' brains out on the rock.

(May 1, 2016 at 10:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: John 3:16:  'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.'  I've always found this one particularly horrifying.

Boru

At the very least it is epic bullshittery.
Quote:But all silver and gold, and vessels of bronze and iron, are sacred to the LORD; they shall go into the treasury of the LORD.

It is this line (amongst many others) that leads me to believe that if there is any truth at all to the bible, it is simply men of power enslaving the populace under the facade of gods.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(May 1, 2016 at 11:39 am)IATIA Wrote:
Quote:But all silver and gold, and vessels of bronze and iron, are sacred to the LORD; they shall go into the treasury of the LORD.

It is this line (amongst many others) that leads me to believe that if there is any truth at all to the bible, it is simply men of power enslaving the populace under the facade of gods.

Yeah, Yahweh can be pretty materialistic at times, as well as overly violent.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Judges 19

27 When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. 28 He said to her, “Get up; let’s go.” But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.

29 When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. 30 Everyone who saw it was saying to one another, “Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Just imagine! We must do something! So speak up!”
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 1, 2016 at 11:13 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I like the one about bashing babies' brains out on the rock.

But that's a threat to his own gang. Don Corleone style.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(May 1, 2016 at 11:24 am)Minimalist Wrote:
(May 1, 2016 at 10:44 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: John 3:16:  'For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.'  I've always found this one particularly horrifying.

Boru

At the very least it is epic bullshittery.

That as well, but I was thinking more along the lines of condemning the billions of people who don't believe in Jebus, as well as those who never heard of him. John 3:16 might be the most bigoted statement ever made.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 43897 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7404 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky