Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here - short intro
New here - short intro
Grew up Southern Baptist converted LDS when I was married (8 years) spent the last two years of that marriage silently questioning the beliefs, logics and practicality of it all and became very suspicious. I stopped going. I went back to school full time and took a western civ class as i have always loved history, and the history of religion re-affirmed my thoughts of religion and its utter BS. Just finished reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkings and was happy and comforted that he addressed many of the topics and conclusions i had come to on my own... it was a "What, I am not alone in thinking or feeling like this?" moment. I am about to finish Misquoting Jesus which is all about the inaccuracies of the bible and how and why they occurred. An interesting read. I am interested in learning and reading more about explanations for ghosts and hauntings, things of that nature and was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a good book on the topic?

Thanks!
RE: New here - short intro
Welcome! I would recommend looking into Joe Nickell. He is a paranormal investigator and probably has a crazy amount of literature out there for you to view (including online lectures). I think he might be one of the only official paranormal investigators in the world, so... he'd be the guy to go to. Smile
(July 29, 2010 at 7:27 pm)Skeptisma Wrote: Welcome! I would recommend looking into Joe Nickell. He is a paranormal investigator and probably has a crazy amount of literature out there for you to view (including online lectures). I think he might be one of the only official paranormal investigators in the world, so... he'd be the guy to go to. Smile

Thanks!

What to you think of Ghost Hunters? (TAPS) they seem to approach things logically. I will check Joe Nickell out!
(July 29, 2010 at 7:35 pm)Spencer Wrote:
(July 29, 2010 at 7:27 pm)Skeptisma Wrote: Welcome! I would recommend looking into Joe Nickell. He is a paranormal investigator and probably has a crazy amount of literature out there for you to view (including online lectures). I think he might be one of the only official paranormal investigators in the world, so... he'd be the guy to go to. Smile

Thanks!

What to you think of Ghost Hunters? (TAPS) they seem to approach things logically. I will check Joe Nickell out!

Let's just put it this way: If there was anyone out there that can logically deduce (and prove) explanations for paranormal activity they would have a million dollar check courtesy of James Randi. It's still in the bank as of yesterday when I visited him. Smile
(July 29, 2010 at 7:39 pm)Skeptisma Wrote:

Thanks!

Let's just put it this way: If there was anyone out there that can logically deduce (and prove) explanations for paranormal activity they would have a million dollar check courtesy of James Randi. It's still in the bank as of yesterday when I visited him. Smile

Haha fair enough. I however do not understand all of your references so I will politely nod and smile whilst I google for a better understanding, enlightenment and the recipe for the perfect pancake mix.

Thanks!

First, welcome to AF. I hope you have a good stay.

Second, GH is a television show that one should watch for pure entertainment value. If you Google some of the TAPS debunked stuff, you will see that they fake a great deal of their "evidence."
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Figures!
TAPS had "evidence"? (even with the quotes) all I ever saw was. "oh, that's strange, but that doesn't mean anything." if anything at all.

I also mean Hi, Spence
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
(July 29, 2010 at 8:24 pm)Cego_Colher Wrote: TAPS had "evidence"? (even with the quotes) all I ever saw was. "oh, that's strange, but that doesn't mean anything." if anything at all.

I also mean Hi, Spence

Oh sure, they have tons! There was a whole coat hanger incident and a collar pull incident. There are videos all over the web debunking their so-called "evidence".
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Joe Nickell sure has been busy writing books.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Intro: I might be deconverting JayLugh 38 7610 July 27, 2016 at 7:56 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  i'm new here over 23 3865 February 1, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Hello all! I'm new here. My de- conversion story. Short and sweet. Sinyail 2 2288 March 4, 2011 at 2:35 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko