Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So then I told Jesus to fuck off
So then I told Jesus to fuck off
Long after leaving the church, my grandfather told me about the time someone gave him a tract. He showed it to his mother, and she said, "This is trash," and threw it in the garbage. And then he told me that his parents were atheists. Back in the days of Bertrand Russel and Robert G. Ingersoll. 

As for my grandfather, he got sucked into the delusion. He raised his children that way, and my mother raised me that way. It was when I was starting High School that, being considered a faggot by the community of Christians I had grown up with, I began evaluating the truth of my religion without the blinders of social pressure. I wasn't welcome in my church no matter what I believed, so there was very little at stake for me.

By the time I was a senior in High School I concluded that God didn't exist. It was all bullshit. I had been raised on young earth creationism and "Dr." James Dobson, so I hadn't even heard any pseudo-sophisticated arguments in favor of theism. It was nothing simple-minded bullshit distributed by unreflective, incurious dogmatists.

I wonder how differently my life would have gone had my grandfather heeded his mother's warning.
RE: So then I told Jesus to fuck off
Group Hug 
I am so sorry you where treated like that by Christians , i myself was abused by a priest  he said that i was evil 
i went away from the church looked into other faith for years going to nearly everyone there is 
I see now that its a load of shit too
Heart
Help. What's a "tract"?

Curious and don't answer if you don't want. How are things between you and your parents/grandparents now?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm very sorry for the abuse you suffered Sad

Well done for having the courage to analyse your beliefs. It's certainly not the easy option.

Brewer: This is a rather extreme example of a tract, narrated by Hugo and Jake. They are basically propaganda/stories.

https://youtu.be/MIh7o8o9ZmU
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Thanks Rob! (I may be bluffing)
(June 13, 2016 at 8:09 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Help. What's a "tract"?

Curious and don't answer if you don't want. How are things between you and your parents/grandparents now?

A religious tract is like a short comic book with religious propaganda in it. Here's an example if you can stomach it (Jack Chick...*shudder*)

Things are okay with my Dad and grandparents. Distant, though. Course they don't know I'm trans, they just think I'm gay.

Except with my Mom. She's come along way; from telling me gays were all going to hell to accepting that I'm married to a transgender man. I don't know yet if she can handle me being trans, but I've always been closest to her.
A Gemma is forever.
(June 13, 2016 at 4:58 pm)Gemini Wrote:
(June 13, 2016 at 8:09 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Help. What's a "tract"?

A religious tract is like a short comic book with religious propaganda in it. Here's an example if you can stomach it (Jack Chick...*shudder*)

Things are okay with my Dad and grandparents. Distant, though. Course they don't know I'm trans, they just think I'm gay.

Except with my Mom. She's come along way; from telling me gays were all going to hell to accepting that I'm married to a transgender man. I don't know yet if she can handle me being trans, but I've always been closest to her.

Cool. Glad they are being somewhat understanding. Give them time.
(June 13, 2016 at 7:40 am)DarkAsylum Wrote: Group Hug 
I am so sorry you where treated like that by Christians , i myself was abused by a priest  he said that i was evil 
i went away from the church looked into other faith for years going to nearly everyone there is 
I see now that its a load of shit too

Thanks for the hug Smile 

And I'm sorry to hear about the abuse. It's sickening to think of how much that asshole priest probably got away with  Angry

I got into Buddhism for a while after leaving the church. And there do seem to be some pretty reasonable Buddhists around, but I got tired of hearing monks talk about people being psychic and recommend homeopathic medicine, and then there's the Buddhists who are into the worst parapsychology bullshit. In the end I think I'm just more of an atheist and a naturalist and a humanist than anything.
A Gemma is forever.
Quote:A religious tract is like a short comic book with religious propaganda in it.

Oh.  You mean like a bible.  Why don't you just say so, Gem?

Angel
A bible with *pictures.*

Although they have illustrated bibles...

Okay, it's a fucking bible Tongue
A Gemma is forever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My conversion story, just to get it off my chest. LadyForCamus 4 1939 December 26, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Reforged