Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a lack of evidence be considered proof?
Can a lack of evidence be considered proof?
If it's hot, sunny and dry outside, will anyone question that it's not cold, wet and raining?

If you do not have any hands, is that not proof that you didn't choke your neighbour to death?

If I love eating steak, is that not proof that I'm not a vegetarian?

If there is no trace of our sentient creator anywhere in the universe, does that not prove that he doesn't exist?

Theists, you don't have to be captain Obvious. Just use a tiny bit of common sense and trust your instincts.

Realise that wishing something to be real is nice but won't actually make it real.
Not even your God had the power to poof himself into existence....sorry...have a great day! Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Can a lack of evidence be considered proof?
Absence of evidence is not necessarily, in all cases, evidence of absence, but it is exactly what one would expect in a world in which the thing without evidence doesn't exist. In any case, it's sufficient to disregard the claim that the thing without evidence does exist, which is all we really need to do.

Unless, of course, you've got a prior conviction that the thing must exist, evidence or no: then you get the wriggling you get for god. But if the best theists can give us is this sort of hard lean into the idea that future discoveries may enable us to detect their god in future, it's an implicit acknowledgement that they have nothing right now.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Absence is evidence of absence.
Lack of evidence can be evidence but no, not proof. Evidence is not always proof, sometimes it's simply a layer of evidence that still needs more evidence to support a conclusion or empirical proof.

I don't worry about any proof of no gods because until someone can show me enough evidence to even make it a consideration, I don't. I don't need proof to know that smorkenblats are imaginary, I don't need proof to know gods are too.
(May 27, 2016 at 8:51 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote: Absence is evidence of absence.

The absence of evidence for a particular claim is evidence that the claim is false.  The conclusion can be overturned if subsequently evidence of the claim is uncovered.

Kenneth Kitchen's mantra is frequently misapplied by jesus freaks when, for example, archaeologists state that there is no evidence of a major city during the 10th century in what is now known as "Jerusalem."  The nut jobs insist that we have to keep looking for their version of Shangri-La but what archaeology has found at 10th century levels is evidence of a shitty little one-horse village.

Thus what they are claiming is that there is absence of their evidence which is a whole other kettle of fish.
Haha,, fuck, this is gonna escalate fast, I can see it!

"We have evidence of a lack of evidence!" Therefore coverup! Checkmate!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 27, 2016 at 8:40 pm)ignoramus Wrote: If there is no trace of our sentient creator anywhere in the universe, does that not prove that he doesn't exist?

This.

Yeah, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. So long as the evidence is for a weakly observable hypothesis. But the kind of theism that people care about is the kind that we would be obliged to believe, if it were true. 

That kind of theism definitely isn't true.
A Gemma is forever.
I mean, in this sense: if one can logically establish the truth of the proposition "IF X is true, there should be a whole bunch of Y," than an absence of Y is evidence of the falsity of X.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
What Esquilax said. If you look and look and look and don't find the thing you're looking for, and don't even find compelling reasons to keep looking, the safe bet is that the thing you're looking for simply isn't there. That isn't to say that it won't ever be found, but if you keep looking in the same shoebox for the same rhinoceros, you're playing a mug's game.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I would say that absence of evidence is evidence of absence; but how strong that evidence is depends on the individual case. It's certainly a factor to consider. But it's not necessarily sufficient evidence, or even strong evidence, which is what I think people generally mean by the rule of thumb.

I think absence of evidence could be considered proof if a statement is very specific:

"I have a [regular] baseball in my right hand."

I look in the person's hand. They have no baseball in it.

I'd say I've proved that claim false via lack of evidence. I suppose you could say I have positive evidence that they don't have it in their hand, because if they did, I'd be able to see it. To state otherwise is to refer to the limits of my senses and such and retreat into solipsism. Which you can do, if you want.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof of creation no atheist can debunk (100% bulletproof) insider432 277 119977 August 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15