Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freegans
freegans
Tried it? Disgusted by it? Have opinions on it? I'm curious as to this communities reaction to it. Personally I've done it in the past for a short stint when I was much younger than I am now and we didn't call ourselves freegans, but dumpster divers and consumer activists.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: freegans
What's a freegan?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
A person who eats whatever they can find in bins, usually those of supermarkets. It's usually politically motivated (i.e., they have money, they just don't want to give it to corporations).

I'd prefer to work and buy my food myself; it's a lot healthier than eating out of the trash.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=freegan
Well, extreme lifestyles are not for me. Fundamentalism doesn't happen in religion only. Rolleyes
freegans aren't just dumpster divers, it's about anti-consumerism, reducing your carbon footprint and teaching people about the huge amount of usefull waste they simply trash while other starve and have no place to live or things to own.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
IMHO there are far better ways to do that than risking your life eating out of the garbage. If they were truly anti-consumerism, why don't they grow their own food? I'm sure part of the movement are honest and really want to make a difference, but at least a small percentage just want a free meal.

Either way, I disagree with the ways they go about doing it. Appealing to supermarkets to donate things thrown away to homeless shelters would be a good start.
(August 7, 2010 at 8:02 am)Tiberius Wrote: Appealing to supermarkets to donate things thrown away to homeless shelters would be a good start.
My old church has an agreement with the local Sainsburys to redistribute their almost out of date stock. It worked well.
When I was a kid i would go through all the dumpsters in our apartment complex and pull out all the recyclables and turn them in, made decent money for a kid =b

I appreciate what Freegans do, just not for me.
I agree with Adrian, in that I'd prefer to work for and buy food myself. There are other ways to reduce your footprint and be "green."

Besides, eating from a dumpster is just gross, no matter how you look at it.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell