Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instead of asking
Instead of asking
Why do theists believe as they do,

We should instead be asking:

WHY THE FUCK ARE THEISTS SO FUCKING GULLIBLE?

You're welcome.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Instead of asking
I have noticed a trend that atheists in general tend to be better critical thinkers, but I haven't had enough data to draw a meaningful conclusion on that. It seems theists tend to believe in other irrational things more than atheists, which makes sense, but I couldn't be sure about that either.

For the most part I blame indoctrination. They have been programmed to believe it, before they learned how to properly think or evaluate beliefs. It's in there deep, like a tumour, but it disguises itself perfectly as rational thought. It is also really good at throwing up any kind of mental defence to avoid being discovered or scrutinised.

I know the feeling of addressing beliefs you have been indoctrinated with. Mine just weren't religious. It's extremely uncomfortable, and it's very tempting to leave them alone and just accept the overwhelming emotional manipulation that makes you believe it must be true.

I would fully expect that if you took a group of children, developed their critical thinking and didn't indoctrinate them, that the overwhelming majority would never end up joining a religion. Theists are mainly victims, in my estimation.

You can have a very intelligent person in front of you, and have them change into a total moron when you bring up certain subjects. It's so obvious and jarring, it's painful to watch. Religion is one of those subjects, but it isn't the only one. You can tell when the person's beliefs are based on emotion and not logic, because their mindset totally changes. It shows how well the human brain can compartmentalise. They probably don't realise they're doing it, most of the time at least.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It does make total sense to me that theists would more readily believe other irrational/superstitious/woo things than atheists. If you've succumbed to one form of magical irrational thinking, you're more vulnerable to more of it. After all, you already have one foot across the divide between reality and fantasy. You can't very easily question all these other things without having to evaluate where your foot is.

That's another reason I'm so against indoctrination. It erodes a person's grip on reality, to a lesser or greater extent. At least that appears to be the case.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
The bottom line is that around one million people each year commit suicide. I dont give a fuck about them, I have my own things to do. Theists on the other hand care to "indocrinate" them, thus they support society by "reviving" people at the bottom who are mostly forgotten by the rest.

I can only respect such "revival" process.
You mean, go for the vulnerable ones who are down and out!

Has it occurred to anyone that the reason they wanted to off themselves IS because of the guilt and misery taught BY religion!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
I can't figure out how many layers of irony you are using when you post here PP. Just give me a figure and I'll do the modular arithmetic.

Index of my best videos
He seems to be a poeing poe. A Poe Poe.

[Image: 27979725811_752fe7868b.jpg]
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 8, 2016 at 2:18 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Why do theists believe as they do,

You're welcome.

We're not the ones falling to Satan's little tricks.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(July 9, 2016 at 5:07 am)Godschild Wrote:

You're welcome.

GC

Oh hi GC, haven't seen you for a while. Still a nutrag I see, jolly good...
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(July 9, 2016 at 5:07 am)Godschild Wrote:

You're welcome.

GC

Godschild : I like your signature regarding Nietzsche. This is how all scripture is written. People like you write stuff down and sign god's name.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 9298 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Don't like saying "I'm an atheist"? Try this instead. Gawdzilla Sama 40 7827 January 22, 2018 at 6:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3586 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why Atheism instead of agnosticism of some sort Ervin 31 9370 November 10, 2010 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Lethe