Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turkish coup - anyone up to speed?
Turkish coup - anyone up to speed?
I haven't read into it. All I've heard is that Erdogan blamed the coup on Gulen.

Exsqueeze me? Gulen was Erdogan's Islamist mentor. I thought those two were peas in a pod?

But lately Erdogan has fallen out with Gulen, and he blamed the coup on Gulen.

Past coups in Turkey have been by the secular/Kemalist military against Islamists, but this one has me confused.

At a guess, I'd say that Erdogan is up to his usual tricks, always trying to grow his dictatorship powers.

A few years ago Erdogan faked charges against hundreds of military, journalists and academics.

This could be more Erdogan games.
RE: Turkish coup - anyone up to speed?
Coup is an opportunity for Erdogan to clean house, and actual guilt/innocence* is irrelevant to him since he 'won'.

* clearly, the actually 'guilty are in deep shit, but problem people in the org chart regardless of participation in the coup attempt or not are looking at grim prospects too.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The fingers do seem to be pointing at the Gulen movement ...

http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_w...-coup.html
No, Erdogan is pointing fingers at Gülen. There's a crucial difference there.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jay Leno sets speed record onlinebiker 13 548 November 13, 2021 at 11:10 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  BREAKING:The Turkish president refused to accept the U.S National Security Advisor WinterHold 1 444 January 9, 2019 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Turkish police disperse pro-secularism rally protesting suggested religious constitut pocaracas 6 1133 May 1, 2016 at 12:19 am
Last Post: dyresand