Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesla Master Plan, Part Deux
Tesla Master Plan, Part Deux
TD;DR version:
Quote:Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it

I believe this is incredibly exciting and might solve a lot of problems in the long run. What do you think?

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux
RE: Tesla Master Plan, Part Deux
Until we make cleaner pv cells and get a cleaner source of power -at the point of origin- it's polishing brass on the titanic. Right now, electric cars...like most "green tech" are consumer products, not solutions. In the long run, if being a consumer product is enough to draw down cred (see: hype)...they'll just continue to be consumer products rather than solutions.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I wish he'd work more on mass transit.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 22, 2016 at 4:13 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: I wish he'd work more on mass transit.

He's planning to do just that, as stated both in the article and in the short version posted above.
The future is in earthquake machines.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Until we make cleaner pv cells and get a cleaner source of power -at the point of origin- it's polishing brass on the titanic.  Right now, electric cars...like most "green tech" are consumer products, not solutions.  In the long run, if being a consumer product is enough to draw down cred (see: hype)...they'll just continue to be consumer products rather than solutions.

I believe what Musk is doing is much more powerful than that. 

Recommended reading: WaitButWhy's series of blog posts about it.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-...-life.html
Good article, lengthy..lots of research.  Doesn't alleviate my concerns.  It explicitly references them.  I think it will make a good stop gap.  It could buy us time.  But that's best (and entirely unrealistic) case scenario.  Hence my polishing brass on the titanic comment.  I think this..because assuming total conversion to electric cars can eliminate transportation emissions entirely (which it can't)...we'd only hit 30% of the required 60-80% reductions necessary by 2050.  Which isn't even enough time to pull off a plan like that if it were possible, which it isn't.

It's not that I think they're a bad idea...I think they've been massively oversold. When Musk oversells his product, I understand. When people drink the koolaid...I cringe a little, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Electric cars I fell can never be the answer unless we can all start generating clean electricity wholesale.
I think fuel cell is the way all cars will be in 30-50 years.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 26, 2016 at 3:10 am)ignoramus Wrote: Electric cars I fell can never be the answer unless we can all start generating clean electricity wholesale.
I think fuel cell is the way all cars will be in 30-50 years.

So what about the solar energy fulfilling your car's energy requirements? I believe that's right there in the plan.

Musk isn't in the solar energy business for shits and giggles, you know.
(July 26, 2016 at 1:45 am)Rhythm Wrote: Good article, lengthy..lots of research.  Doesn't alleviate my concerns.  It explicitly references them.  I think it will make a good stop gap.  It could buy us time.  But that's best (and entirely unrealistic) case scenario.  Hence my polishing brass on the titanic comment.  I think this..because assuming total conversion to electric cars can eliminate transportation emissions entirely (which it can't)...we'd only hit 30% of the required 60-80% reductions necessary by 2050.  Which isn't even enough time to pull off a plan like that if it were possible, which it isn't.

It's not that I think they're a bad idea...I think they've been massively oversold.  When Musk oversells his product, I understand.  When people drink the koolaid...I cringe a little, lol.

I think they're doing something about it, which is why better than sitting around waiting for the end of the world, if you ask me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to master Google Search Heat 12 2375 February 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: scoobysnack
  The internet should have a plan B Gooders1002 11 3642 July 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Best Computer Part Suppliers (UK)? Tiberius 4 1971 October 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn