Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its About Time!
Its About Time!
Hello

Just joined and its about time ! I have never ever believed in a religious deity of any description. Even though my family background include those that nominally seemed to believe (Jews Christians (of various denominations) none of whom seemed really sold on the idea. My father being very openly anti religion of any sort.

I was just lucky.

Seems to me religious upbringing is a form of child abuse in that it changes lives without any real evidence to do so.

I was a marine engineer (RN) and spent 25 years sailing round the world noticing the differences. Seems to me the more religion the more trouble.

I have been a psychologist and educator for the last 20 years and am now semi retired.

As a psychologist I am convinced about evolution and sold on science.

I am married (my wife was a Buddhist but doesn't believe in it as a religion anymore). We have a 5 year old daughter.
I consider Buddhist philosophy to be very sensible (of course real buddhists are atheists too.)Wink Shades

Hope I can make some useful contribution.

RE: Its About Time!
Welcome and feel free to jump into a discussion.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Hello and welcome!
Welcome along and it's nice to have someone of a decent age here for a change. Keeping all these children under control can be pretty exhausting at times [Image: wink.gif]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(August 13, 2010 at 7:36 am)Darwinian Wrote: Welcome along and it's nice to have someone of a decent age here for a change. Keeping all these children under control can be pretty exhausting at times [Image: wink.gif]

That's because you didn't bought us Icecreams! Big Grin

Anyways, welcome to the forums Peter, feel free to jump right in Wink
(August 13, 2010 at 7:36 am)Darwinian Wrote: Welcome along and it's nice to have someone of a decent age here for a change. Keeping all these children under control can be pretty exhausting at times [Image: wink.gif]

Well give us a decent allowance and we won't throw any more tantrums! Big Grin

Welcome Peter!
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell

Welcome Smile
"A man who keeps one eye on the past is blind in one eye. A man who ignores the past is blind in both."
Welcome person. Hope you have fun here.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
did someone promise ice-cream? obviously not. I'll have to get my own now. Sad

So, welcome, sir and enjoy your stay.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  its all about me Libertine 6 953 August 14, 2014 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
Rainbow My intro brings all the forumers to my thread. Damn right, its better than yours. TheStateIsALie 54 15173 July 16, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Rayaan
Wink Hope its not too late! WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 9 4224 July 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  Long time atheist, first time poster... JustEd 13 3698 April 4, 2012 at 5:59 am
Last Post: Erinome
  Look its the new Guy !! The Athiest God 10 1756 September 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: everythingafter