Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question?
Question?
Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer! Thank you to everyone in the forum for your insightful contributions, I am always challenged intellectually with much of what I read here. I have a quick question for my non theist compadres:

If you discovered personally acceptable truth (whatever that may be for you) that the Christian God revealed in the bible was authentic, would you choose to serve and worship him? If yes, why? If no, feel free to elaborate as to why as well.

I observe there are many former Christians and very knowledgable people here on the content of the bible, I look forward to hearing your responses.

Again, I really do hope everyone is enjoying their summer!
RE: Question?
Funny that someone named Pete Rose is offering a variation of Pascal wager.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

If the god of the bible was proved to be 100% real I would have to believe.

I could not, in all honesty, worship or serve it because that would mean that the events of the OT were real and actually happened and NOTHING could get me to worship the evil being that is the god of the Old Testament.
Dying to live, living to die.
Pete, my man! Hell to the nah!
Former Christian here. Fundie, actually. Bible school after high school and before college. Pastor parents. Former preacher myself. Yeah, I did the looney talk behind the pulpit. Christian enough for ya?

'Kay. The answer is nope. Never would I worship the god of the Christian Bible were he proven to be real. The dude's a dick. Oh, and yes, I know the Bible. Want verses?
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(July 26, 2016 at 9:51 pm)Mamacita Wrote: Pete, my man! Hell to the nah!
Former Christian here. Fundie, actually. Bible school after high school and before college. Pastor parents. Former preacher myself. Yeah, I did the looney talk behind the pulpit. Christian enough for ya?

'Kay. The answer is nope. Never would I worship the god of the Christian Bible were he proven to be real. The dude's a dick. Oh, and yes, I know the Bible. Want verses?

Wait, you couldn't have been a real Christian™.

If you were you wouldn't have been a preacher.  Because the bible clearly states that a woman should remain quiet...

Angel
With the new avi I always think Mama is Jorm...

I would get myself checked. I would always be skeptical. But if we are skipping straight to the hypothetical that I have been convinced, I would believe. I would not worship. I take the Billy Joel approach. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than die with the saints. The god character described in your holy book is not worthy of any admiration, if he existed. That's for sure.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 26, 2016 at 9:42 pm)PETE_ROSE Wrote: Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!  Thank you to everyone in the forum for your insightful contributions, I am always challenged intellectually with much of what I read here.   I have a quick question for my non theist compadres:  

If you discovered personally acceptable truth (whatever that may be for you) that the Christian God revealed in the bible was authentic, would you choose to serve and worship him?  If yes, why?  If no, feel free to elaborate as to why as well.  

I observe there are many former Christians and very knowledgable people here on the content of the bible, I look forward to hearing your responses.  

Again, I really do hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

Even if some interpersonal experience led me to believe a god existed, I can imagine no circumstance which would lead me to believe it was the god of the bible.  Nothing strikes me as less likely and I don't think any Christian has reason to think the god of their belief is that god.  It is just wanton stubbornness and pigheaded prejudice.
(July 26, 2016 at 9:55 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(July 26, 2016 at 9:51 pm)Mamacita Wrote: Pete, my man! Hell to the nah!

Wait, you couldn't have been a real Christian™.

If you were you wouldn't have been a preacher.  Because the bible clearly states that a woman should remain quiet...

Angel

I know, right?  Dodgy
Yet, cherry picker former me was great at getting applause for preaching  neyastee (nasty, mmmkay). Lol! I was the typical "I won't say what you wanna hear" type of deal. Hahahaha! Hence, now atheist.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(July 26, 2016 at 9:58 pm)Mamacita Wrote:
(July 26, 2016 at 9:55 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Wait, you couldn't have been a real Christian™.

Angel

I know, right?  Dodgy
Yet, cherry picker former me was great at getting applause for preaching  neyastee (nasty, mmmkay). Lol! I was the typical "I won't say what you wanna hear" type of deal. Hahahaha! Hence, now atheist.

Glad you recovered.

Heart
I don't think I could ever have certainty that a god exists. There's just no evidence that doesn't have a more mundane explanation that is more probable. I don't think I could answer your hypothetical as I don't believe certainty is possible. Lacking certainty, I just wouldn't believe.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]