Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bit about a Harper's article on Uganda
A bit about a Harper's article on Uganda
I have few notes before I start with what I was going to say. 1) this is about rape, but I would like it not to turn into an objectifying thread (even though this is quite different, I think.) 2) I don't know if this is the right thread for it, so move it if anyone thinks it is not. I didn't know whether to put it here, politics or Christianity and there isn't a absolute bullshit sub forum. 3) most of this is copied from one of my blog posts so if it doesn't make sense, because I'm actually talking to people here I can clarify or quote some bits.

I don't know what any of your know about the anti-gay things going on in Uganda, but I don't know much besides what my boyfriend tells me and this Harper's article on it. (why we get Harper's, I don't know.) So, I might repeat things you already know, but I don't recall seeing anything here about it– that doesn't mean it didn't happen, though. I think it scared the shit out of me. The author, Jeff Sharlet talked about one man,Victor/Juliet Muskasa who used to be female and a lesbian. (This story was, I believe relayed to him by a gay man he talked to called Blessed. And there was also a court case with Muskasa and his friend.) She didn't feel comfortable in a dress so the Church decided that she was possessed by a male spirit. They thought it best that performing an exorcism would be best. The men held her, talked in tongues, took off her clothes (exorcising evil spirits in those too) fondled her(and slapped her)– while it was all being called "holy" and eventually locked her in a room and raped her––– for a week. Then they called her "cured".
Okay, how does anyone ever start to think that raping someone is going to turn them straight? because they will realize they enjoy hetro sex? last time I read anything about rape it still said that it wasn't enjoyable. In fact, I don't think I ever ran into the phrase "I was raped and it was fucking awesome." I don't think I will and I don't think that will change.
If homosexuality was a choice, I'd imagine lesbians who got raped would be like "fuck this shit, guys are douche bags."

This was at a church. Now, the article didn't say if there were any white guys at this church, however there were white guys at other churches Blessed had been to. They believe homosexuality is a sin because it is in the Bible. What else is in the Bible? rape is 'punishable' ie wrong. Now, let's say she didn't say no, let's say she didn't "cry out". In fact even if we go as far to say she wanted it. (which clearly she hadn't.)
Sharlet (the author) went to several abstinence parties. There where signs in one of the churches among "Say no to homosexuality." there was "Avoid sex before marriage" and "always say no to sex."
sooo, Sex is okay if it's to get a male spirit/demon out of the body? mob mentality. And because it was curing her it was okay for them to give in to their sick thoughts/lusts/fantasies/etc. and rape the poor girl.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
RE: A bit about a Harper's article on Uganda
That is just horribly fucked up. I don't even know what to say, I'm so disgusted by that story. People are capable of nearly any atrocity in the name of that book of theirs.
Can't expect anything better. Uganda is the place considering (or that was considering) the anti-homosexuality legislation making multiple gay sex convictions, being HIV positive, or having one gay sex act with a person under the age of 18 capital crimes.

(And this is Christian sponsored legislation by the way and Uganda by religion majority Christian.)
I don't know what to say. That is seriously fucked up.

Would you have an online link to this story?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
There is a lot I could say about this, but I'll keep it short. Until the quality of life, education and basic needs change in most of Africa-including Uganda-this is the kind of shit we will continue to see. When ignorance is allowed to run rampant and horrific crimes are an everyday event in your country and the surrounding countries, people get away with this kind of shit on an alarming scale. Now, I am sure this made the news because the poor victim was a lesbian and anti-gay Uganda fodder is 'newsworthy' right now. However, this isn't an isolated incident. This kind of stuff happens to straight and gay women and children in numerous African countries every fucking day. The only cure, in my mind, is proper education, hopefully coupled with an end to all of the wars that are going on in Africa right now.
leo Wrote:Would you have an online link to this story?
no, I looked, in order to view it you have to have a Harper's sub

I also forget to mention that wasn't even what the article was about. The trail was just an important part of Blessed's(the gay guy that was interviewed) life. The article was about the American roots of the anti-gay legislation.

Shell B Wrote:However, this isn't an isolated incident. This kind of shit happens to straight and gay women and children in numerous African countries every fucking day.

Yes, I know. that's why there is things like this. This kind of shit is still quite disturbing, though.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't disturbing. Of course it is. I just wish people would report on the whole freaking issue and not just one or two incidents. The way it is, nobody gets an idea of the scope of the problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1381 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
Last Post: brewer
  It's a little bit strange to....... Cod 8 1868 July 7, 2019 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Britain can be a bit strange! zebo-the-fat 37 3063 January 5, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Guys, is she a bit funny in the head? ignoramus 12 2177 December 24, 2017 at 6:51 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Bit of fun: Maverick vs. Boss robvalue 1 527 December 20, 2016 at 10:15 am
Last Post: paulpablo
  A bit of poetry Lemonvariable72 0 537 February 3, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  I Don't Blame This Guy A Bit.... Minimalist 8 1324 July 7, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Lonely and a bit depressed MusicLovingAtheist 22 3894 September 16, 2014 at 4:51 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  I'm Away For A Bit BrianSoddingBoru4 4 743 June 30, 2014 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Avril Lavigne's been getting a bit of stick lately Napoléon 24 4532 May 6, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie