Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming in December ... "Rogue One"
Coming in December ... "Rogue One"
Anyone else excited or at least eager to be cynical again?

https://youtu.be/frdj1zb9sMY
RE: Coming in December ... "Rogue One"
Haven't seen EP7 yet because of the kid, and intend to see them in some kind of double if possible. I'm quite excited actually, because I'd enjoy seeing more Star Wars, and splitting them from the main branch of SW movies gives more artistic freedom and enables them to make movies less burdened by all the legacy, but also the commercial constraints (needs to be suitable for kids and some toy lines) of a regular SW movie.
Also, I like the premise of the first one. I'm certainly not the only one who would be eager to see the backstory of how the plans got into Leia's hands.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Also, I want it to be good because all the dudebro assholes on the web are screaming "Mary Sue!" because they can't stomach strong female leads.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Yes. Definitely looking forward to it.

Also looking forward to another round of people whining about a female main character...
Dying to live, living to die.
After the let down from 1, 2, and 3 the fever has yet toreturn. Maybe the kid can help relight the flame, we'll see.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 12, 2016 at 6:19 am)mh.brewer Wrote: After the let down from 1, 2, and 3 the fever has yet toreturn. Maybe the kid can help relight the flame, we'll see.

I don't think you can compare 1,2,3 with Rogue One. If it's going to be bad, it's going to be bad in very different ways! Smile

Have you seen 7?

(August 12, 2016 at 6:44 am)Alex K Wrote:
(August 12, 2016 at 6:19 am)mh.brewer Wrote: After the let down from 1, 2, and 3 the fever has yet to return. Maybe the kid can help relight the flame, we'll see.

I don't think you can compare 1,2,3 with Rogue One. If it's going to be bad, it's going to be bad in very different ways! Smile

Have you seen 7?

Not yet. My son is an enthusiast. I think he will have to be the one that gets me interested again.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Forest Whitaker looks like he's lost shitloads of weight.
(August 12, 2016 at 3:58 am)Alex K Wrote: Also, I want it to be good because all the dudebro assholes on the web are screaming "Mary Sue!" because they can't stomach strong female leads.

I scream "mary sue" not because she is supposedly strong, but because she is supposedly a guttersnipe who is somehow born better than Han Solo in piloting Millenium falcon and Better than a trained apprentice in light saber fights.  The story is written like a sloppy fan fiction in which the character Rey is the author's fantasy of herself.
(August 12, 2016 at 7:52 am)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(August 12, 2016 at 3:58 am)Alex K Wrote: Also, I want it to be good because all the dudebro assholes on the web are screaming "Mary Sue!" because they can't stomach strong female leads.

I scream "mary sue" not because she is supposedly strong, but because she is supposedly a guttersnipe who is somehow born better than Han Solo in piloting Millenium falcon and Better than a trained apprentice in light saber fights.
I agree that having a character so unusually capable can be a sign of lazy writing, unless it is somehow justified by her back-story or progeny.
Quote:  The story is written like a sloppy fan fiction in which the character Rey is the author's fantasy of herself.

Yes, that's what Mary Sue means. I don't think it is one in this case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who else is going to see Rogue One, the next Star Wars movie soon? Whateverist 138 11822 December 24, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" teaser trailer released Aegon 20 2614 April 11, 2016 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Coming out on "The Biggest Loser" Foxaèr 3 910 November 28, 2013 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan