Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mosul
Mosul
And so it begins.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37077607

Quote:Kurdish forces in Iraq say they have captured several villages near Mosul from the self-styled Islamic State (IS) group, the last major city the militants hold in the country.

This will end with ISIS defeated and Mosul a smoking ruin.  One cannot argue with the UN assessment.

Quote:The UN has warned that the final battle for Mosul could spark "the biggest, most sensitive humanitarian crisis in the world".

Quote:When the sword is once drawn, the passions of men observe no bounds of moderation.

--Alexander Hamilton
RE: Mosul
Great.
Kurdish pride!!!
Problem is there's no real alternative unless you want to sit ISIL out. I'm glad the Kurds did it, but I certainly don't chime in with the cheers over what will be a problem for years to come. If something good is to come of it, it should be a sovereign kurdish state. And fuck you, Erdogan, by the way.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(August 14, 2016 at 1:08 pm)abaris Wrote: Problem is there's no real alternative unless you want to sit ISIL out. I'm glad the Kurds did it, but I certainly don't chime in with the cheers over what will be a problem for years to come. If something good is to come of it, it should be a sovereign kurdish state. And fuck you, Erdogan, by the way.

I don't very often agree with you abaris, and we have got off to a bad start, however, what you have said is pretty much nail on the head stuff. If the Kurds win in the end, that will be great, but I can see right now, the whole force of the United States military imposing their own force. Should the Kurds win, and manage to hold off any attacks from ISIL, then I hope they get their independance without any interference from anyone. You do have to congratulate them for doing the job and yes, a big fuck you Erdogan!!!!
Yeah, there's no way in hell that the US or even EU countries for that matter, would allow an independent Kurdish state to be established. They want to preserve their relationship with Erdogan.
(August 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm)RobertE Wrote: I don't very often agree with you abaris, and we have got off to a bad start

We have a totally different view of the world. That's not a bad start, that's a simple fact. But as I always say, this is the internet, if I were to meet you in real life over some pints, I'm sure there would be at least something to talk about. There's always some common ground with everyone I ever met.

Which doesn't change the fact that if I don't agree, I don't agree.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Latest news:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideas...SKCN10P070

Quote:Kurdish Peshmerga forces launched a fresh attack on Islamic State (IS) forces early on Sunday as part of a campaign to capture Mosul, the militants' de facto capital in Iraq, Kurdish officials said.

The advance began after heavy shelling and air strikes by a United States-led coalition against IS forces, a Reuters correspondent reported from Wardak, 30 km (19 miles) southeast of Mosul. The militants fought back, firing mortars at the advancing troops and detonating at least two car bombs.

A Peshmerga commander said a dozen villages had been taken from the ultra-hardline Sunni militants as Kurdish forces headed toward Gwer, the target of the operation, 40 km (25 miles) southeast of Mosul.

One does wonder if the Kurds will gladly hand over the ground they have fought for to a Shia dominated government in Baghdad?
(August 14, 2016 at 4:50 pm)Minimalist Wrote: One does wonder if the Kurds will gladly hand over the ground they have fought for to a Shia dominated government in Baghdad?

Probably not.

But it's pretty much guaranteed that the US and other Western powers would intervene in support of the Iraqi government.
Yeah, I don't see us helping dissolve Iraq as well as antagonizing the Turks.

I don't doubt the that putative refusal is a condition of our using Incirlik to launch the strikes mentioned in the report.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ISIS (Probably) Blows Up al-Nuri Mosque in Mosul The Valkyrie 10 3800 June 24, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  ISIS Burns 8000 Rare Books and Manuscripts in Mosul Mudhammam 13 2401 February 27, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: dyresand