Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should We Eradicate Mosquitos?
Should We Eradicate Mosquitos?
Should we eradicate mosquitos? I've seen some talk of it lately. Mosquitos are the deadliest animal species to humans.

Most mosquito species do not carry diseases. However, scientists can edit genes of mosquitos that carry diseases so that they are resistant to the parasite that carries malaria or make female mosquitoes infertile and then introduce the genetically altered mosquitos into the general population.

According to WHO, there were 214 million malaria cases in 2015 and about 438,000 malaria deaths.

On a personal note, my dad lives in the Philippines and was hospitalized after contracting dengue from a mosquito bite.
I spent a week in Miami Beach in June, where the CDC has now issued a travel advisory for pregnant women and their partners because of Zika. I didn't have any mosquitos bites while there but hearing about Zika there has given me pause.

So what do you think? Get rid of mosquito species that spread disease? If we did, would there be any unintended consequences? Do the benefits of eradication outweigh the risks?

I say yes, we should eradicate mosquito species that spread disease. Good riddance.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazi...osquitoes/
RE: Should We Eradicate Mosquitos?
Kill them all.
Couldn't care less. Vandal takes care of them just nicely.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Let's weigh our pros and cons here.

Cons:
Fucking over the world's ecosystem beyond belief.

Pros:
We get to kill those little pieces of shit that make the outdoors a living hell and spread some of the worst blood-borne diseases in the world.

[Image: 37826752.jpg]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 19, 2016 at 8:50 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Kill them all.

I knew we would agree on something eventually, Bella.  Big Grin
Not until I make money on the DEET investment. /joke, maybe

I can't think of a reason off the top of my head not to eradicate but I am hesitant. Does anyone know for absolute certain that there will not be a negative environmental impact?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
There's a community in the Florida Keys that is steadfastly against releasing genetically altered mosquitos into the area which would reduce the population of mosquitos and I don't understand why. I would be all for it if I lived there.
(August 19, 2016 at 8:59 pm)Tres Leches Wrote:
(August 19, 2016 at 8:50 pm)Bella Morte Wrote: Kill them all.

I knew we would agree on something eventually, Bella.  Big Grin

I'm sure we agree on more than you think.  Tongue
[Image: tumblr_mx2issX5xB1qm7hsao5_r1_400.gif]
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(August 19, 2016 at 9:02 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Not until I make money on the DEET investment. /joke, maybe

I can't think of a reason off the top of my head not to eradicate but I am hesitant. Does anyone know for absolute certain that there will not be a negative environmental impact?

The only impact I've heard about is on the insects or animals that feed on mosquito larvae. If mosquitos are gone, the larvae would be gone too.
I believe there would be some negative impact but the positive impact outweighs the negative.