Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 6:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial system and USA
Imperial system and USA
I've always wondered what is the thing/the event in USA's past that made the country to use imperial measurement system? There are only a few countries in the world using the imperial system and I know only 3 - USA, UK and Australia. As far as I know the most countries, like mine, are using the metric system where everything is so much simpler (not to mention easier to remember) - 1 cm is 10 milimeters, 100 cm is 1 meter, 1 km is 1000 meters, 1 kg is 1000 grams and so on.
So far I've learned some of the imperial values, like an inch, a mile, a yard but the lbs gives me a serious headache.
So, do you know what made America to use the imperial system?

I thought to post the topic in "History" but it's not exactly history related, so I decided Off-topic is the better place for it.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
RE: Imperial system and USA
It's not too difficult to figure that out. The imperial measurement system was used by the UK, which is where American culture originated from.

Americans (excluding some people like me) think their country is always the greatest country on the planet and will automatically reject most ideas from other cultures. That's a massive generalization and I know it, but it's true enough to justify where I'm going. We don't like change, so this makes us insanely stubborn. If it's something we've been doing for generations, it's going to take a large cultural shift for us to give it up and adjust to the new system.

Even I have a tough time not using the imperial system because I'm surrounded by it every day. I enjoy talking with people from other countries because it allows me to think differently. The metric system is obviously superior and I would love to have that become the standard here. I just doubt that will happen here any time soon.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
The origins are from the UK, but the stubborn resistance to an objectively superior system is all 'Murrican.

Plus there is a significant cost to switching, and I don't know that there could be a gradual switch. We are notoriously adverse to spending money on infrastructure, so this also compounds the issue.

Most academically inclined people in America would be on board with the change.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Just changing all those MPH signs in the UK would cost tens of millions.

Not to mention all the cars that use imperial measurements. It is weird when you think about it not using metric, but as a Brit I'm just used to using feet, pounds and ounces, miles and pints ^_^
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 27, 2016 at 3:05 am)Jesster Wrote: It's not too difficult to figure that out. The imperial measurement system was used by the UK, which is where American culture originated from.

Americans (excluding some people like me) think their country is always the greatest country on the planet and will automatically reject most ideas from other cultures. That's a massive generalization and I know it, but it's true enough to justify where I'm going. We don't like change, so this makes us insanely stubborn. If it's something we've been doing for generations, it's going to take a large cultural shift for us to give it up and adjust to the new system.

Even I have a tough time not using the imperial system because I'm surrounded by it every day. I enjoy talking with people from other countries because it allows me to think differently. The metric system is obviously superior and I would love to have that become the standard here. I just doubt that will happen here any time soon.

Some time ago I watched a video about the differences between US English and UK English and on that video they mentioned the reason for that difference was made in spite of the British. So that behavior to reverse things in spite of UK made me wonder why they didn't change the measurement system too.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(August 27, 2016 at 4:07 am)Atheist_BG Wrote: Some time ago I watched a video about the differences between US English and UK English and on that video they mentioned the reason for that difference was made in spite of the British. So that behavior to reverse things in spite of UK made me wonder why they didn't change the measurement system too.

Well the kilogram wasn't a widely accepted thing when the U.S. was formed. It wasn't officially defined until the 1790s. The MKS system wasn't adopted until 1901, and the International SI standard wasn't published until 1960.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Well, there IS the well-known popularity in the US of the 9mm bullet...

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I am British and have been involved in science and engineering all my life, in these areas almost everyone uses metric units. I have never understood why anyone would use the Fahrenheit scale for temperature, it is so illogical, centigrade is simple - 0 is freezing, 100 is boiling, 20 is room temperature. As far as distance is concerned I find it easy to switch between miles and kilometers, I have no preference. Volume and weight is simple - a cubic meter of water weighs 1 tonne, can't get easier than that!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

-p-I tend to think in different units, depending on what I'm thinking about. Examples:

-I'm, 6'4" tall, not 1.93m.  

-I buy petrol by the litre, foodstuffs by the pound.  

-I weigh '15 stone and 5', not 215 lbs.  

-The temperature outside is 8C, not 47 F.

-The distance from my home down to Auckland isn't 243km, or 150 miles.  It's 3 hours.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Working as a nurse I use metric measurements. Although when taking a persons temperature some prefer Fahrenheit. Same with a persons weight , some prefer Imperial. We are still mixing the systems. In the public sphere I see no sign of change. Every food label has both ounces and milliliters but no one pays any attention. I guess it really does not matter since when we are driving we are not conducting research. We are not a nation of scientists that is for sure.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 699 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are restaurants (USA) known for not paying employees who quit/walk out? EgoDeath 6 941 October 29, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Metric vs Imperial ? ignoramus 26 2457 May 24, 2018 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The system of educaction has to be changed Macoleco 31 2625 May 19, 2018 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef? Catholic_Lady 92 10344 March 2, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  USA Bible Belt mcolafson 14 1786 November 17, 2016 at 7:22 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Information Why the USA is a disgrace Aractus 356 33410 February 20, 2016 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Happy newyears from the east coast USA dyresand 6 1197 January 1, 2016 at 10:37 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Sex abuse: Denmark vs. USA Aractus 7 6586 October 13, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which operating system do you prefer? rado84 48 8210 July 25, 2015 at 3:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus