Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The system of educaction has to be changed
The system of educaction has to be changed
As a university student I have been thinking that it is necessary to change the education system. For the sake of the quality of life and the progress of humanity.

I study electrical engineering, and I am forced to take so many classes that I dislike. This means I have to spend time studying something I dislike, instead of spending time on something I like. This not only would benefit me, but society as a whole since it can use whatever I create or develope. 

The way the system is created, "step by step", means that you need to do a lot of undesired things to move on to the next step. For example, I want to study bioengineering, which is the reason I study electrical engineering. But I need to get the degree first, and for this I must take classes I dislike. Besides this, the system punishes me if my performance is low. Meaning that my chances to study bioengineering diminish, since the only way I can do it is by getting a scholarship (My country does not have this speciality and I dont have the money to study abroad by myself). This means I have to push through hell to finally study what I want. And this benefits no one (except transnational companies such as Intel, or HP who would benefit from a 3rd world engineer who will work for less money compared to a USA engineer) . 

Now, I believe that a system is required. Basic mathematics should be taught regardless of what you want to study. Same with any other discipline such as physics, etc. But there should be a breaking point in which you have more freedom. For example, you dont want to study calculus in several variables just yet. When you finally hit a wall and need to understand it, you should have several paths: 1. Study by yourself with books. We should teach people to study by themselves and stop depending on teachers. 2. Learn from friends. 3. Take a class at university with a teacher.

At the end of the day, even if you take a class about X topic, when you finally need it, you will have to repass it again. So I see no point on forcing us through this bullshit system. Who benefits from this..?
RE: The system of educaction has to be changed
Quote:I study electrical engineering, and I am forced to take so many classes that I dislike.

It won't hurt you to read a book now and then outside of your professed specialty.  I'm not sure what you are complaining about.
I agree with Min here. You are being educated, not trained as an electrical engineer. There's a difference. Grad school is for deep specialization in your particular field of study.
I didn't like writing, political science, art, history............ but I took all of them in undergrad. Maybe somebody knows something we didn't in our teens/20's,
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I am a firm believer that if you're paying a school to teach you to become an engineer, you should only be taught engineering courses.

Fuck that well-rounded bullshit. An engineer has absolutely no need for Art History.
Is there a rule that engineers have to be boring?
I'm not saying engineers can't have interests outside of engineering, but courses not geared toward their future profession should not be forced upon them by an outdated education system.
[Image: e6ae5b926d105ea67a4c3a7e5967d488.gif]

Angel
Social skills are overrated.
(May 18, 2018 at 5:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Is there a rule that engineers have to be boring?

Or can't write a comprehendible technical paragraph/paper?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  US National Alert System, aka Satan's Whistle. Gawdzilla Sama 10 658 October 5, 2023 at 1:07 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Boru changed colors on us! arewethereyet 28 1509 November 1, 2020 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  I have changed my avatar. You can come out now. I_am_not_mafia 9 1262 June 9, 2018 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Alignment System. Where would you place yorusef? Catholic_Lady 92 10247 March 2, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Unless she changed her username... Foxaèr 7 899 March 1, 2018 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Losty
  My smartphone has changed my life. Jehanne 28 2235 February 17, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Imperial system and USA rado84 20 3580 August 28, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  evolution as changed in the last 100 years justin65 39 5361 October 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Which operating system do you prefer? rado84 48 8183 July 25, 2015 at 3:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Worlds biggest scam ie the banking system Gooders1002 10 2843 June 21, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: ShaMan