Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless LAN extension
Wireless LAN extension
Okay, so I have a printer in my school which is connected to LAN.  I need to move it out of cable range using a wireless solution, but I don't have access to anything in the network: local IP address assignations, etc., or on the printer itself (it's in Korean, and I have been told not to mess with settings).

So I literally need to plug the existing LAN cable into a wireless extender attached to the Printer, such that no part of the network needs even minor changes to make it work: no finding the printer again, no changing IP addresses in the printer settings.  It literally has to be a virtual LAN cable.

If someone knows of such a thing, can you give me a link?
RE: Wireless LAN extension
I use a system that uses the electrical wiring as a LAN. One box is plugged in and a LAN cable is installed. The other box goes anywhere and I can use a cable for connection or use it as a WiFi extension system.

This is similar to the far end of that system: lan adapter for household wiring

You'll have to test it to see if it works with your wiring pattern, so save your receipts until you know it works. 

Caveat: This works for me, but I'm sure some techie will be along with a better system by the time you read this.  Dodgy
That's very interesting. I don't know if it would work, because I'm in a double-lot commercial space. Also, I'm in Korea which uses 220V.

But it really does look like it's something close to what I want.

I've seen a few wi-fi extenders that have LAN connections, so I think that maybe this allows a comp at each extender? But i don't know if this would have a new IP or whatever.
Have you considered just getting a really long LAN cable? I have one that's 100 feet long.

As for the hardware, I'm sure they make similar for 220V, it's part of the market.
(August 30, 2016 at 11:28 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Have you considered just getting a really long LAN cable? I have one that's 100 feet long.
Yes. One solution is to pay a network guy to crawl around in the rafters and install a long cable. It would probably not cost that much unless he falls through the ceiling panels.

Quote:As for the hardware, I'm sure they make similar for 220V, it's part of the market.
Yeah I have to check it out. It's a little hard figuring out what stuff is called in Korean, though.
Okay I looked it up. It seems like you have to set passwords, etc. I'm suspicious that at the end of the line, each device will get assigned a new local IP address. Is that the case? Basically, my printer is at IP X.X.X.X, and after adding a bridge solution, I want it to show up exactly as though I had never added anything: no need to re-find and configure the printer, etc.

The problem is that my printer was set up by a Korean guy, and he's no longer at the company we rent from. Nobody there knows how to do fucking anything, and yet we're stuck with another year on our rental contract. So I either have to get a completely non-invasive solution with NO risk of screwing anything up (like unplugging and replugging the device and getting a new local IP assigned by accident) or I have to reconfigure the whole network on my own. The latter, I don't really want to do.

Man, this company is tilting me right now. Big Grin
(August 30, 2016 at 12:06 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 30, 2016 at 11:28 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Have you considered just getting a really long LAN cable? I have one that's 100 feet long.
Yes.  One solution is to pay a network guy to crawl around in the rafters and install a long cable.  It would probably not cost that much unless he falls through the ceiling panels.

Quote:As for the hardware, I'm sure they make similar for 220V, it's part of the market.
Yeah I have to check it out.  It's a little hard figuring out what stuff is called in Korean, though.

I wouldn't guess on tech stuff. Can you find an honest computer shop to help you out? 

Oh, and if the network guy knows his stuff he'll have a extension that will reach from one access panel to the other so he doesn't have to do a high-wire act. At least in the US, anyway.
(August 30, 2016 at 1:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Oh, and if the network guy knows his stuff he'll have a extension that will reach from one access panel to the other so he doesn't have to do a high-wire act. At least in the US, anyway.

Yeah, this is the solution I'm going to go for. . . explain to a network guy. He'll come in, laugh at my ignorance, and attach something wireless to my printer.
(August 30, 2016 at 7:13 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(August 30, 2016 at 1:47 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Oh, and if the network guy knows his stuff he'll have a extension that will reach from one access panel to the other so he doesn't have to do a high-wire act. At least in the US, anyway.

Yeah, this is the solution I'm going to go for. . . explain to a network guy.  He'll come in, laugh at my ignorance, and attach something wireless to my printer.

Saves you having to learn how to cuss in Korean.  Angel
(August 30, 2016 at 9:07 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(August 30, 2016 at 7:13 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Yeah, this is the solution I'm going to go for. . . explain to a network guy.  He'll come in, laugh at my ignorance, and attach something wireless to my printer.

Saves you having to learn how to cuss in Korean.  Angel

Oh, I already know that! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beats Wireless Headphones BrokenQuill92 16 2448 August 23, 2014 at 6:47 am
Last Post: Nine
  Wireless Data From Every Light Bulb thesummerqueen 2 1444 August 11, 2011 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: frankiej