Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for a Physicist
Question for a Physicist
I watched a discussion forum in which Lawrence Krauss gave an example of "something from nothing". He said that when an electron emits a photon something is created from nothing because the electron is not diminished in any way. So, for us non-scientists, is this a good reply to use when arguing with those theists that say something can not come from nothing? Does this reply reveal a basic principle of nature that extends to a more universal application in debate?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Question for a Physicist
Seems to me like a really bad example for anything. The electron radiates off a photon, and the energy the photon gets is carried by the electron before that. I don't know how that would qualify as creation from nothing. Sure, the electron is still there after the radiation event, but is that what creation from nothing is?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 5, 2016 at 4:55 am)Alex K Wrote: Seems to me like a really bad example for anything. The electron radiates off a photon, and the energy the photon gets is carried by the electron before that. I don't know how that would qualify as creation from nothing. Sure, the electron is still there after the radiation event, but is that what creation from nothing is?

Seemed a bit to easy. Thanks Alex. Finally I can disagree with Krauss about something.

It's like the "why are there still monkeys" argument of quantum physics Smile
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

So essentially the electron has gathered this energy then releases it in the form of a photon?

(October 5, 2016 at 5:35 am)chimp3 Wrote: So essentially the electron has gathered this energy then releases it in the form of a photon?

Yup. In the language of feynman diagrams, the electron absorbs a bit of energy and "goes off the mass shell" as the jargon says, which means it briefly violates the E=mc^2 relation in order to store the energy which then gets pumpted e.g. into a newly created photon.

(October 5, 2016 at 5:50 am)Alex K Wrote:
(October 5, 2016 at 5:35 am)chimp3 Wrote: So essentially the electron has gathered this energy then releases it in the form of a photon?

Yup. In the language of feynman diagrams, the electron absorbs a bit of energy and "goes off the mass shell" as the jargon says, which means it briefly violates the E=mc^2 relation in order to store the energy which then gets pumpted e.g. into a newly created photon.

Fascinating. Thanks.

Maybe you misunderstood what Krauss was saying?
No, he offered as an example of something from nothing. Tommorow I will post the video.

(October 5, 2016 at 7:58 am)chimp3 Wrote: No, he offered as an example of something from nothing. Tommorow I will post the video.

Yes, do that and let's see if Alex still disagrees then.

But even so, I suspect this may not be so much a debate about physics as it is about language.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The physicist believer Dr. Aron Wall Jehanne 0 299 January 30, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Ask a physicist to speak at your funeral. Creed of Heresy 2 1054 March 7, 2014 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Britney Spears: Semiconductor physicist. Anymouse 1 3448 June 29, 2011 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Epimethean