Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Living With Shia Muslims & my Closeness to Shia Political figures
About Living With Shia Muslims & my Closeness to Shia Political figures
This post will reflect my long life with Muslims. I’ll add to my introduction some more information about my experience or should I say painful suffering with the Muslim community. I’ll explain a lot of details related to the Shia Muslims specifically.
In reality being born to a Shia family wouldn’t make any significant difference than if you were born to a Sunni family. The difference is negligible, both have the same criteria and view of life from an Islamic perspective. What differs is related to some rules that govern them, something we don’t want to delve into. This post is a reflection of Islam from my life with Shia. Note, I’ll unwrap here very important details, details with political significance. Yes, in fact I come from a community where the prominent Shia clerics that are highly respected by Shia reside and live there. These clerics are highly engaged with the Iranian revolutionary regime and personally I met them during my childhood and adulthood.

Radicalism or really Islamism aren’t distinct concepts I believe. I talked about this point briefly in my introduction. Muslims generally follow what they hear and know from their imams or clerics whatever we label them. Technically, those imams actually author books to interpret and answer different cases to guide Muslims. Islam is very strict, my family for instance questioned every case through Islam not through their minds. They would go back to Sharia law to solve the most ridiculous problem they face. Being Shia means you have to follow the excessive life of rituals. Certainly Shia perform rituals almost day by day, they have this story where Mohammed’s son was killed in Karbala. They cry unbelievably and they even humiliate themselves; they believe through doing this they’ll reach the gate of heaven. The case can be represented by their beliefs in miracles, I heard them mentioning how windows were shaking as they were performing rituals, how sick people got healed, how poor people got rich and all of that is done through these rituals, that’s what they believe. It’s not whether they perform these rituals or not, but when these rituals become intrusive in your life this what we call extreme. Children are indoctrinated by those rituals. To me this is another North Korea with a different color. I hear children yelling these sentences: (“Allah Akbar”, “There’s no God but Allah”, “Mohammed is the prophet of Allah”, “Death to America/Israel”). You hear them shouting these words unconsciously. Girls below the age of 9 wear Hijab over their heads and the most important goal for the family is to keep their girls’ virginity, because if she loses her virginity these means she committed adultery. Being at this closeness of a society that advocates the Iranian regime isn’t as safe as it might sound to you and makes my life fragile.

You might wonder how close I am to these clerics and their importance to the Iranian regime. I’m so close to them that high ranking Iranian military officials defended these Shia clerics with their own published words. For example, one of these clerics which was mentioned by an Iranian military official (I guess he’s a general) and the supreme leader of Iran in numerous occasions, his grandson was my colleague in the 6th grade. I describe his grandson as being rude with teachers, violent and he engaged in weird behaviors. For instance, before he eats chips he would pour the whole hot sauce bottle on his food, his food becomes like a curry. He would also in some occasions drink the hot sauce itself. He was absolutely violent and incapable of being a good student. He used to slam the door violently during our science class and he just abandons the class after he slams the door. I saw his grandfather every Friday prayer at that time (the prominent Shia cleric), he gave speeches about politics and religion and after that we would pray behind him. There’s no doubt this cleric has absolute power of the local community here. If he commands them to kill me for instance, in a matter of seconds I’ll die given their closeness to me.

My deepest fear today is how far this society will go with its radical approach towards life. Given my highly vulnerable political and geographic location, safety became a concern. If a child is fed those words that fuel hatred towards others, what would happen to the next generations? A question that’s certainly needs to be presented today as things are escalating. Children are told about Jihad and the beauty of dying for Allah and this includes my home. My mom noticed my behaviors to change, I stopped praying, she told my little brothers to call me an infidel. The simple act of neglecting your prayers labels you as an infidel. Or during Ramadan when I went on with my life to eat, I was abused verbally by the family. Absolutely, I do appreciate such autocracy when it comes from people that support one of the most oppressive regimes on earth that annihilate anyone that disagrees with it.

If we speak about education, the truth is there’s no education. How will children attend their schools and they’re pushed to attend rituals? And the core question of the matter here, what will they teach them in the first place? Critical thinking? During high school I had a philosophy teacher, he’s not specialized in this field. One day our topic was about proving the existence of God, it was a very primitive topic and he lost the argument. Next class he came to me and said that he began to read books about the issue. I’m glad that he just realized he needs to add some toppings on his blind belief. To sum it up, undoubtedly they favor religion over anything and everything.

Ask my any question...
RE: About Living With Shia Muslims & my Closeness to Shia Political figures
No questions.... sounds like hell on earth, though.
Will you leave the country as soon as you can or stay and try to make a change?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 19, 2016 at 12:26 pm)Minimalist Wrote: No questions.... sounds like hell on earth, though.

Yes it is. And what could be worse than living at the same time not feeling alive!
(October 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Will you leave the country as soon as you can or stay and try to make a change?

I think staying there to try and make changes would be impossible without broad support and support from the military. I would try to find a way to get myself and my family out of there. Maybe try to effect change in that country some other way at a safe distance.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
Welcome Defender. I wish I could recommend that you stay and try to change things, but if you have family to protect or are quite reasonably unwilling to bear the danger of doing so, the best thing is to get yourself out of the situation.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(October 19, 2016 at 1:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Will you leave the country as soon as you can or stay and try to make a change?

This is very good question indeed.

The important thing to realize here is the need to ease their radicalization first. People certainly need to awake from their uncertain religious beliefs. The crucial question here is how to do that? Seems by far more complex to subvert the social order without having powers. I had previous experience with making a change, I debated some of my colleagues in schools and college as well and trust me my debate only makes them more stubborn and nothing else. It makes the situation even more dangerous to me without having any sort of protection. One thing I realized is that it's not easy to change religion and erase a history which lasted over centuries unless you replace the whole population. Replacing the whole population seems more radical than Islam itself and will get us out of the track, since what we are trying to accomplish is to make a change not to replace a population by any means of force. I don't think one day this society will label itself as being secular and open-minded. In fact, these societies always lead to one path, the path of wars. Therefore, change is only an illusion unless you erase and subvert the social order completely and implement a high authoritarian regime to ban Islam. Take into your account our distance from other Muslim nations. 

I would prefer to leave for these reasons: 

1) I don't view myself as a social reformer 

2) It's dangerous and useless (communists tried to remove religion and failed) 

3) Going against the desire of people is undesired 

4) We can make a change from a distance (safer/ peaceful/ effective)

5) Change will enflame their greed to destroy 

So put it in another way, either they change or life will change them completely. That's what I think.  
(October 19, 2016 at 1:55 pm)A Theist Wrote:

I think staying there to try and make changes would be impossible without broad support and support from the military. I would try to find a way to get myself and my family out of there. Maybe try to effect change in that country some other way at a safe distance.

He needs support from the military to make changes in his family? Why take what I asked to the extreme? Oops, caught your user name, never mind.
(October 19, 2016 at 2:40 pm)Defender Wrote:

This is very good question indeed.

The important thing to realize here is the need to ease their radicalization first. People certainly need to awake from their uncertain religious beliefs. The crucial question here is how to do that? Seems by far more complex to subvert the social order without having powers. I had previous experience with making a change, I debated some of my colleagues in schools and college as well and trust me my debate only makes them more stubborn and nothing else. It makes the situation even more dangerous to me without having any sort of protection. One thing I realized is that it's not easy to change religion and erase a history which lasted over centuries unless you replace the whole population. Replacing the whole population seems more radical than Islam itself and will get us out of the track, since what we are trying to accomplish is to make a change not to replace a population by any means of force. I don't think one day this society will label itself as being secular and open-minded. In fact, these societies always lead to one path, the path of wars. Therefore, change is only an illusion unless you erase and subvert the social order completely and implement a high authoritarian regime to ban Islam. Take into your account our distance from other Muslim nations. 

I would prefer to leave for these reasons: 

1) I don't view myself as a social reformer 

2) It's dangerous and useless (communists tried to remove religion and failed) 

3) Going against the desire of people is undesired 

4) We can make a change from a distance (safer/ peaceful/ effective)

5) Change will enflame their greed to destroy 

So put it in another way, either they change or life will change them completely. That's what I think.  

Until you can leave can you move? Maybe into a less authoritative religious community, say Zoroastrian?
The main issue then is environment-dependent. Not religion. I've lived with Muslims and have had different experience with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 828 62249 April 26, 2024 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 873 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3035 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 885 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Removing treatment by democratic consensus as default (living wills) Duty 25 1271 October 7, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3074 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2388 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 1999 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 687 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7014 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah