Play "Cards Against Atheist Forums" online now!
Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: 20th July 2017, 20:27

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Sons of Gods and Bitches
#1
Sons of Gods and Bitches
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/12/jesus-wa...ent-times/

Quote:Jesus wasn’t the only son of a god in ancient times

Quote:Virgil, writing in the early first century AD, wrote about a promised child, the offspring of the gods, who would bring a golden age of peace and prosperity to the Roman Empire – in other words, the emperor. Augustus Caesar’s birth was foretold by portents, according to the Roman historian Suetonius. Unusual astronomical occurrences were understood as divine omens in Roman culture, so it is no wonder that Jesus’s birth – like Augustus’s – was depicted as important using a miraculous star.

Alexander the Great’s birth also had meteorological omens surrounding it. Plutarch tells us that both Philip and Olympias, Alexander’s parents, were sent dreams from the gods announcing Alexander’s birth. Olympias dreamed that her womb was struck by lightning, while Philip dreamed that he put a seal on his wife’s womb in the image of a lion. Most significant, though, is the report that Philip spied a divine serpent sleeping next to his wife, which he took as a sign that he should avoid sleeping with her himself, since it was clear that she was to conceive from a divine rather than human source.

Really, none of it is any sillier than the jesus bullshit.


Reply
#2
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches
Somehow I think Philip didn't want to sleep in his wife's bed because he saw a snake there, but made an excuse so he wouldn't look weak.

"I'm not sleeping in that bed with her! There was a snake in there."

"A snake? You could just kill it.'

"It was a DIVINE snake! I'm refusing to sleep with her because our child will be conceived divinely, rather than by human means."
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Reply
#3
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches
(24th December 2016, 01:36)Cecelia Wrote: Somehow I think Philip didn't want to sleep in his wife's bed because he saw a snake there, but made an excuse so he wouldn't look weak.  

"I'm not sleeping in that bed with her!  There was a snake in there."

"A snake?  You could just kill it.'

"It was a DIVINE snake!  I'm refusing to sleep with her because our child will be conceived divinely, rather than by human means."

So, how long is this snake ?
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
Reply
#4
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches


Lick my loofah.
Reply
#5
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches
I suspect the historic kernel of the 'divine birth' myth went something like:

'Sabit! I'm home from the wars!'

'Ibal! I've missed you so mu...'

'Wait, Sabit - I've been gone a year and you're with child! Harlot!'

'No, Ibal, it isn't like that. Erm...it was Enki. Yes, the great god Enki appeared and made me pregnant. That's it.'

'Oh, well that's all right then. What's for supper?'

Boru
'There are people who long for immortality in the afterlife who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.' - Isaac Asimov
Reply
#6
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches
and add:

"well, we might make some money on this son of Enki thing . . ."
The problem with 90% of the politicians is they make the other 10% look bad.
Reply
#7
RE: Sons of Gods and Bitches
(24th December 2016, 01:36)Cecelia Wrote: Somehow I think Philip didn't want to sleep in his wife's bed because he saw a snake there, but made an excuse so he wouldn't look weak.  

"I'm not sleeping in that bed with her!  There was a snake in there."

"A snake?  You could just kill it.'

"It was a DIVINE snake!  I'm refusing to sleep with her because our child will be conceived divinely, rather than by human means."

Philip of Macedon....one of the first religious apologists.


Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sons of Liberty Minimalist 13 2429 28th March 2015, 18:25
Last Post: Minimalist



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)