Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cover Songs
Cover Songs
There are some damn good (and bloody awful) cover songs out there. I particularly like it when a well known band covers a well known song.

Cake covers "War Pigs" very well, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyJMufGx7fo

Prince does a great cover of "Crimson And Clover" (with a little "Wild Thing" added into it) and shows off his guitar chops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CVBxI3ZZkQ

And I never realized that "The Sound of Silence" was such a scary song until I heard Nevermore's rendition. I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tNApceu3AQ
RE: Cover Songs
Patti Smith's cover of Van Morrison's "Gloria":

With a few added lyrics: "Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine..."

Johnny Cash's haunting cover of NIN's "Hurt":

(I could mention several other great Johnny Cash covers but I'll refrain)

Tom Waits, "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?":

Tori Amos' cover of Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" (her Strange Little Girls album, all cover tunes, is one of her most underrated albums):

~~~~

Speaking of Cake: their cover of "I Will Survive":

Al Green's cover of the Bee Gees' "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart":

The Animals definitive cover of "House of the Rising Sun" (with awesome organ solo):

(this song has an interesting history)

The Cowboy Junkies' super-subdued cover of Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane":

Not a favorite, but worth mentioning: Devo's hilarious cover of "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction."
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
I'm not exactly a Bonnie Raitt fan, not a John Prine fan, but her cover of "Angel from Montgomery" is a real tearjerker:

“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
Yo La Tengo's cover of Sun Ra's "Nuclear War" (they did three different recordings of this song, but this one with the children is the best version):

Nuclear war: It's a motherfucker, don't you know?

Music 
30STM, my favorite band, covering Bad Romance by Lady GaGa. I don't like Lady GaGa but this sounds good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7spoPjx7hs
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Two covers I've recorded in the past I am rather proud of...

Joy Division's "Atmosphere":

The Beatles' "Dear Prudence" (this was thrown together rather quickly one day-- the drums are played "live" on a drum machine):

I sort of dreaded to click play on your Atmosphere cover, but in the end I'm glad I did. You did a great job on this cover, well done.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(September 12, 2010 at 3:59 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: I sort of dreaded to click play on your Atmosphere cover, but in the end I'm glad I did. You did a great job on this cover, well done.

Thank you. Its funny, I've gotten that response before on this cover-- I have heard some pretty awful versions of it too (and other JD songs).
You've all missed the greatest cover of them all

[youtube]uQYDvQ1HH-E[/youtube]

[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(September 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm)Zen Badger Wrote: You've all missed the greatest cover of them all

With air guitar! (I used to watch Woodstock religiously when I was younger) I love the organ on that too...

This reminds me of Aretha Franklin radically different version of Eleanor Rigby. She puts her own soulful spin on it:

I don't like it when covers attempt to duplicate the original performance-- why bother? A really good song can withstand several interpretations. Johnny Cash's interpretations of Tom Waits, Nick Cave, U2, Leonard Cohen, and Soundgarden are a prime example. He sings those songs as if he himself wrote them (and in some cases even exceeds the originals).

Unimaginative covers annoy me. What's the point in doing "Cats in the Cradle" when you are using the exact same arrangement? Why bother when I could just as easily hear the original?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post a Cool Cover vulcanlogician 79 1350 Yesterday at 1:31 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Post a Stool Cover Angrboda 12 262 March 24, 2024 at 10:51 am
Last Post: brewer
  Post A Pool Cover BrianSoddingBoru4 1 115 March 23, 2024 at 5:03 pm
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 139 10490 March 2, 2024 at 12:24 pm
  Favourite Songs In Oddly Specific Catagories BrianSoddingBoru4 3 346 February 23, 2022 at 5:45 pm
  Post Trippy Songs vulcanlogician 69 5010 August 20, 2021 at 7:51 am
  What are some songs that have changed their meaning completely over time? FlatAssembler 1 243 November 15, 2020 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Sal
  Who did it better, the original or the cover? Brian37 44 2684 November 6, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Theme of Laura: cover by me from 2013 WinterHold 0 463 September 7, 2020 at 3:48 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Songs of your first crush....... Brian37 16 1661 April 3, 2020 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama