Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to the Forums
New to the Forums
I am a 23 year old English girl and I've been an Atheist since I was old enough to make a decision.

When I was a child, Christianity was taught as fact in my school, but, coming from a very rational household, I guess I always thought of God as about as likely as Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy (both of which I was suspicious about, the first because Santa had the same wrapping paper as my mum, the second because I found a pot of my milk teeth in the bathroom when I was about 7). Despite this, when a teacher tells you something is true, you believe it because you rely on adults for so much of your information at that age. They didn't start teaching Evolution until I was about 10 years old, at which point I decided that things really didn't add up, but I was one of the few that came to this conclusion.

I was the only one of my friends who was not Christened, and all of them at the time claimed to believe in God. Since then, many have come round to the idea that there may not be a god, others have cemented their faith more firmly than ever before. I really feel that given the evidence and scientific means we have available these days, there should be far more atheists in the world. My Christian friends seem to me to be fearful of the world, and it seems as though they are clutching at anything they can so that they do not have to accept the inevitability of their death.

Personally, I find the world a really wonderful, sometimes bleak, but always beautiful place to live in. I have never found religion to be be a satisfactory answer to questions we have yet to answer scientifically and I enjoy the idea of continuing to learn new and exciting things for the rest of my life, and embrace the fact that I will never know everything about the universe.

Recently, I have found I have been attacked (verbally) for not having a belief. The word "fundamentalist" has been bandied about. Of course, it is impossible to be a "fundamentalist" atheist, because fundamentalist means unchangeable, and atheists adapt their beliefs constantly to new discoveries based upon evidence. However, it seems to me that, whilst all religious opinion is tolerated or even celebrated, atheistic opinion is considered rude and offensive by its very nature. I don't understand how open-mindedness could ever cause offence to somebody whose faith is strong enough to override it, and yet I come up against misunderstandings like this on a fairly regular basis.

I would like to talk to other atheists about how they cope with this intolerance that seems to pervade public opinion.
RE: New to the Forums
Welcome aboard, custardcream! Big Grin
Thanks, Watson!
Hello, CC.

Actually, on this side of the pond "fundamentalist" means "dumb-as-a-rock-redneck."

Watch out for Watson....he has those tendencies.

Anyway, they seem to like signs.

[Image: christian-fundamentalists-religion-chris...219154.jpg]
Welcome to the forums. Which part of England do you come from?
Thanks for the greetings. I'm from the Midlands.
Cool. I'm from the South West, currently living in the East (Cambridge). Moving back down to London in a couple of weeks though.
Welcome

Personally, I think their attacks are due to their own insecurity on the matter and the ignorance on what is an atheists coupled with disinformation about it (most of it gained from church). How I cope with it? Well, I try to talk with the person to figure out what leads them to such accusations, if the person is reasonable, good, that's a nice debate oportunity, otherwise I just turn my back on them. Its impossible to talk with people with closed minds and open asses. As to my worldview, I find it pretty much like your own, life is a wonderfull experience, albeit sometimes bleak, and I crave to know more about the world Smile
Yeah, I would say that is a pretty fair assessment, and talking does seem to be the best way to handle it. But when people start throwing insults about, like "fundamentalist" which is not only incorrect, but also uttered with the intent of offending me, I tend to find myself getting angry and upset rather than walking away. I admire you for keeping your calm under such situations!
There was a time I would simply explode under such situations, but it is pointless, if you let yourself fall into emotions then you are in the realm of theists, ´cause that's all they have to offer, emotions, then you have already lost. The concept of god is all about dealing with emotions.

As to they calling atheists 'fundamentalists' well... isn't this just a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and Good Night Atheist forums! Violet 22 3136 May 3, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Hello Forums. Nimbus 20 1918 February 21, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Hello to Atheist Forums haig 44 5984 February 16, 2018 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  New to the Forums RiddledWithFear 24 3062 November 12, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Well hello atheist forums anonymousyam 27 3481 April 3, 2016 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: c172
  Hello all I am new at the forums blackstar 15 3311 October 21, 2015 at 4:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Hello Athiest forums! warlocksarebest 22 3053 November 7, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: c172
  New to the Forums The Incredible Atheist 27 3994 September 12, 2014 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  New to the atheist forums MusicLovingAtheist 18 3947 September 2, 2014 at 5:27 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Hello New to the forums lordofgemini 15 2095 March 22, 2014 at 1:49 am
Last Post: *Deidre*