Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 1:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Documentary:Harvey Milk
Documentary:Harvey Milk
A couple of nights ago I watched the 1984 Academy Award winning documentary "The Times Of Harvey Milk".

A powerful film,about which I'm still thinking. I was appalled to learn the man who murdered both the Mayor and Harvey was convicted only of voluntary manslaughter,whatever that is; we don't have that offence here. He served 5 years.

Quote:The Times of Harvey Milk (1984) is an American documentary film that premiered at The Telluride Film Festival, the New York Film Festival,[1] and then on November 1, 1984 at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco.[2][3] The film was directed by Rob Epstein, produced by Richard Schmiechen, and narrated by Harvey Fierstein, with an original score by Mark Isham.

Quote:The Times of Harvey Milk documents the political career of Harvey Milk, who was San Francisco's first openly gay supervisor. The film documents Milk's rise from a neighborhood activist to a symbol of gay political achievement, through to his assassination in November 1978 at San Francisco's city hall, and the Dan White trial and aftermath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times_of_Harvey_Milk

Highly recommended.

I have not seen and have no interest in another Sean Penn film with yet another self consciously brilliant performance.
RE: Documentary:Harvey Milk
The Sean Penn film was awesome. If you haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend it. Also watch his passionate speech about gay rights when he accepted the Oscar for Best Actor.
Sad 
My parents actually won't let me watch it because it's about a gay man. Talk about parental restrictions Angry
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Download it and watch it, don't tell them.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(September 10, 2010 at 10:07 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Download it and watch it, don't tell them.

Haha. Bad idea. If they find out somehow I'm screwed. But I read the link and got the point of it. I'll survive without seeing it. Smile
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: My parents actually won't let me watch it because it's about a gay man. Talk about parental restrictions Angry

Play a recording of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings just to spite them. He was... one of them.

“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran
(September 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm)Entropist Wrote:
(September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am)HeyItsZeus Wrote: My parents actually won't let me watch it because it's about a gay man. Talk about parental restrictions Angry

Play a recording of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings just to spite them. He was... one of them.

No, that would probably just depress them. You should probably do Judas Priest. Their lead singer Rob Halford is gay, as you might have guessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXCpwtPhOLQ&ob=av3n
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Throw in a little Elton John and Queen, too. I know it's hard to believe, but Elton John and Freddy Mercury... both gay. I know... shocking!

That's deplorable. Anyone can have a kid, but you need a license to have a dog.

I've occasionally used the Samuel Barber Adagio because its such a sublime piece of music, and has become "official" mourning music (played at FDR's funeral, played on the air only moments after JFK's assassination, performed at many memorial services after 9/11, etc.) and has often moves listeners to tears, even removed from that sort of context. Then, after hearing something that has moved them so much, I tell them "Oh, by the way, the man who wrote that was gay." Its amusing to see them trying to reconcile this emotional experience and this fact-- it really gets under their skin.
“Society is not a disease, it is a disaster. What a stupid miracle that one can live in it.” ~ E.M. Cioran

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pizzagate(the documentary you wish you'd never seen) particleman 14 1460 July 17, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape charges, turns himself in dimitrios10 0 267 May 26, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: dimitrios10
  PJ Harvey / Nick Cave chimp3 0 174 March 2, 2018 at 1:34 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary Napoléon 3 464 October 5, 2016 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Do you know how to CORRECTLY add milk to your tea? CleanShavenJesus 47 7051 June 22, 2013 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  A documentary on the Roman empire Ethan1581 38 7564 January 14, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: jonb