Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings"
Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings"
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/14/asia/s...-amos-yee/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/world/...icted.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/us/amo...sylum.html

For those of you who don't know who he is. He is Amos Yee, a now 18 year old Singaporean who openly critisized his government and religion. Singapore is a very strict country, it's technically a dictatorship, and Singaporeans are very sensitive people. Amos Yee has been arrested twice on the charges of obscenity and "intention to wound religious feelings" Just search Amos Yee on YouTube and you'll see what I am talking about.

He is now seeking asylum in the United States.

Amos Yee Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amosyeebanana/
"I am against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

BIBLE - Blatant Intellectually Bankrupt Lies and Evil

RE: Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings"
Ah, Singapore. I was wondering what country would have such batshit crazy religious laws. This is not at all surprising for a place like Singapore.
RE: Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings&...
(January 9, 2017 at 9:13 am)Incognito Wrote: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/14/asia/s...-amos-yee/

For those of you who don't know who he is. He is Amos Yee, a now 18 year old Singaporean who openly critisized his government and religion. Singapore is a very strict country, it's technically a dictatorship, and Singaporeans are very sensitive people. Amos Yee has been arrested twice on the charges of obscenity and "intention to wound religious feelings" Just search Amos Yee on YouTube and you'll see what I am talking about.

Assholes like Trump and far too much of the GOP would point to this and say, "This is what we are fighting"..

BULLSHIT, first off it is a myth that liberals  as a majority want that level of political correctness. NO WE DONT, what causes those societies to have people arrested for blasphemy of religion, is not western liberal ideas, but conservatism. While the left in the west has the empathy for others, both left and right of any given religion, fear the questioning and blasphemy of religion. 

I have had liberal theists say "don't offend religion" but unfortunately that plays into the extreme political correctness of theocracies of Saudi Arabia and Iran whom will have you arrested or put to death for offending their religion.

Now, having said that, that DOES NOT justify the political demagoguery of our religious right here. Liberals have the empathy, and I love liberals for that. But even my fellow liberals need to understand the difference between protecting human rights, and the horrible idea of insisting on blasphemy laws. Human rights should be valued, religious freedom should be valued, common law should be valued, but claims as ideas should never be free from scrutiny or blasphemy. 

Liberals have the good intent of wanting civility, we should all want that. But protecting pluralism, isn't about never offending or getting offended, but how one responds in the face of those situations. Political demagoguery leads to more closed societies and authoritarianism, be it worship of an intolerant theocracy like Saudi Arabia, and even an intolerant worship of the state like North Korea.

Blasphemy laws are not a good thing. Fighting bigotry and hate and political demagoguery is fine, but it is a bad idea to use "never hurt anyone's feelings" as a blanket solution. Power shifts over long periods of time, so it is not a good idea to give government absolute power of censorship. Only common law in the idea of no calls to violence or acts of violence. If all 7 billion humans got to silence someone because we got offended, all of us could think of things we would rather not hear or read.
RE: Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings&...
(January 9, 2017 at 10:19 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(January 9, 2017 at 9:13 am)Incognito Wrote: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/14/asia/s...-amos-yee/

Assholes like Trump and far too much of the GOP would point to this and say, "This is what we are fighting"..

BULLSHIT, first off it is a myth that liberals  as a majority want that level of political correctness. NO WE DONT, what causes those societies to have people arrested for blasphemy of religion, is not western liberal ideas, but conservatism. While the left in the west has the empathy for others, both left and right of any given religion, fear the questioning and blasphemy of religion. 

I have had liberal theists say "don't offend religion" but unfortunately that plays into the extreme political correctness of theocracies of Saudi Arabia and Iran whom will have you arrested or put to death for offending their religion.

Now, having said that, that DOES NOT justify the political demagoguery of our religious right here. Liberals have the empathy, and I love liberals for that. But even my fellow liberals need to understand the difference between protecting human rights, and the horrible idea of insisting on blasphemy laws. Human rights should be valued, religious freedom should be valued, common law should be valued, but claims as ideas should never be free from scrutiny or blasphemy. 

Liberals have the good intent of wanting civility, we should all want that. But protecting pluralism, isn't about never offending or getting offended, but how one responds in the face of those situations. Political demagoguery leads to more closed societies and authoritarianism, be it worship of an intolerant theocracy like Saudi Arabia, and even an intolerant worship of the state like North Korea.

Blasphemy laws are not a good thing. Fighting bigotry and hate and political demagoguery is fine, but it is a bad idea to use "never hurt anyone's feelings" as a blanket solution. Power shifts over long periods of time, so it is not a good idea to give government absolute power of censorship. Only common law in the idea of no calls to violence or acts of violence. If all 7 billion humans got to silence someone because we got offended, all of us could think of things we would rather not hear or read.

I agree with what you are saying, some people need to understand that Freedom of Speech means accepting that you will get offended.
"I am against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world" - Richard Dawkins

BIBLE - Blatant Intellectually Bankrupt Lies and Evil

(January 9, 2017 at 9:36 pm)Incognito Wrote: I agree with what you are saying, some people need to understand that Freedom of Speech means accepting that you will get offended.

Someone better tell Yee not to attend an American university because the situation in Singapore sounds very similar to the situation on college campuses here. Maybe the college can create a safe space just for Yee or create one for all the other students on campus so he can't offend them to their faces.
Yeah, sounds just like the us, where we casually prosecute and imprison people for saying things on the internet that wound religious people's feelers.

For clarity, are we talking about the US US, or the US you dreamt about last night, when jesus comes to town?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 13, 2017 at 7:35 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yeah, sounds just like the us, where we casually prosecute and imprison people for saying things on the internet that wound religious people's feelers.

For clarity, are we talking about the US US, or the US you dreamt about last night, when jesus comes to town?

I'm talking about just what I said - American college campuses.
Uh huh.  Where they toss people into a cell for a month or two for uttering blasphemy? Alot like that. The similarities are fucking staggering Lek, thank you for bringing them to our attention. You're a real smart cookie.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 13, 2017 at 7:40 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Uh huh.  Where they toss people into a cell for a month or two for uttering blasphemy?  Alot like that.  The similarities are fucking staggering Lek, thank you for bringing them to our attention.  You're a real smart cookie.

No. More like when you can't discuss your opinions in public because it may disturb someone.
RE: Amos Yee : Atheist arrested twice for "intention to wound religious feelings"
Not everyone will agree with everything you say. Pushback doesn't necessarily indicate offense being taken.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having religious friends when you're atheist Bahana 15 2642 March 10, 2019 at 1:37 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17541 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 14290 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  How can someone convert from Atheist to Religious Heat 65 9521 November 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2783 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Religious bumper stickers and other annoying religious actions. (rant, sorta) DIRTY_DEEDS_93 53 12755 May 25, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Is it odd for an Atheist to perform religious rituals? Rabb Allah 17 3922 July 10, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Religious Faith vs. Atheist Conviction sven 24 6868 April 13, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Shit Atheist Say To Religious People Cholley71 7 4069 August 9, 2013 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Bad Writer
  Young man arrested for satirical facebook page (Greece) Crys 0 1742 September 24, 2012 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Crys