Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sam Harris: 'Can we ever be right about right and wrong?'
What I think could perhaps be interesting to add to what Purple Rabbit said in the 'Pathway Machine' thread:
Quote:Philosophy does not conclusively answer any ethical issue. Furthermore it clearly needs science as input, for instance biological knowledge to assess the impact of abortion on the foetus.
Is something Sam Harris has said..
To somewhat paraphrase Sam Harris: Morality can be a lot like food. There are a whole lot of foods and its not like you can find one food that's objectively "the best". But there's a huge objective distinction between food and poison.
Here's a video on the subject, that I find very interesting.

Part 1/2:[youtube]sBdQhLXTvNM[/youtube]

Part 2/2 [youtube]gqF0jnv3tZY[/youtube]
RE: Sam Harris: 'Can we ever be right about right and wrong?'
I'd like to congratulate the Harris family with the birth of Emma. She is born 5 weeks early but thanks to science and medicine both mother and baby are doing fine.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Sam Harris: 'Can we ever be right about right and wrong?'
I congratulate them too! I didn't know the baby had been born yetSmile
I heard they were having a baby soon though.
Thank science and medicine.
Evf

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Trek (this can't be right) Foxaèr 46 6961 July 13, 2018 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris Edwardo Piet 185 14017 November 5, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I posted this on the wrong board, please delete this thread. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 23 2964 November 26, 2015 at 4:30 am
  Sam Harris podcast, blog, etc. Fake Messiah 2 968 September 30, 2015 at 3:06 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Sam Harris at the Global Atheist Convention Justtristo 22 10819 August 10, 2012 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  The End of Faith by Sam Harris Justtristo 1 1563 May 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions Edwardo Piet 10 3625 July 22, 2010 at 3:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  What's morally wrong with homosexuality? leo-rcc 0 1347 April 15, 2010 at 10:16 am
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions. leo-rcc 0 1170 March 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm
  Debate:Hitchens, Harris, Dennett vs D'Souza, Boteach, Taleb. leo-rcc 4 4099 January 5, 2010 at 11:38 am