Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End of Faith by Sam Harris
The End of Faith by Sam Harris
I recently read through The End of Faith by Sam Harris and I found the book quite interesting. Generally there was little in the book which had been discussed in other works of this nature I have read. Harris has done a fine job in explaining how immoral the morality of religions such as Christianity and Islam. Also that we construct a better moral and ethical system despite not having any reference to a deity.

However the thing I get out of the book, is that Sam Harris despite being a naturalist philosophically, is spiritual to some extent. For instance he has high regard for what he sees as traditions in Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism. Also he advocates practices such as mediation as long as they are stripped of the spiritual mumbo-jumbo (my words). Harris justifies all this by saying these traditions have a deeply empirical understanding of the human consciousness.

I personally get Harris notion of being spiritual, however being scientific in our outlook. For example; when I experience the wonder that is existence and the universe. I also know that it is a feeling produced by certain chemicals in my brain. However his ideas are going to produce controversy.
undefined
RE: The End of Faith by Sam Harris
(May 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm)Atman Wrote:

this sounds to me like the people of the religion called "Church of Satan" stating that "all religions are crap".
I think eastern religions start to become fashionable. A step further would be to stop calling them "religions" so they would appear more attractive and smarter.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pastors losing faith (Vice) Fake Messiah 1 230 January 14, 2019 at 8:18 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Can we build AI without losing control over it? | Sam Harris Edwardo Piet 185 14455 November 5, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Childhood's End Foxaèr 25 2593 December 22, 2015 at 12:02 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sam Harris podcast, blog, etc. Fake Messiah 2 988 September 30, 2015 at 3:06 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1913 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Sam Harris at the Global Atheist Convention Justtristo 22 10908 August 10, 2012 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  Faith-healing choice hurt child Diamond 12 3492 June 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  derren brown on faith healing. one to watch. downbeatplumb 2 2299 April 19, 2011 at 10:30 am
Last Post: lilphil1989
  I believe, I have faith in evilution Justtristo 9 2029 December 29, 2010 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions Edwardo Piet 10 3661 July 22, 2010 at 3:14 am
Last Post: leo-rcc