Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atrocities in the Bible
Atrocities in the Bible
I have been watching Aron Ra's Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism videos on Youtube. I am really disappointed in his shoddy work about the morals of the Bible. I hope the rest of the series is better.

He asserts that one cannot use the Bible as a moral guide because it condones things like genocide, murder, slavery, child abuse, and so on. A lot of the references he lists are useless. He lists 5 scripture references that supposedly condone abortion. One of them is God specifically condemning abortion. He also lists a bunch of references regarding cannibalism, and I don't find that either.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows of a good list of these types of references so I don't have to go through all the work of finding them myself. Is there a comprehensive list or even a short but useful list of the atrocities condoned in the Bible?
RE: Atrocities in the Bible
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Do you really need a list? The common knowledge Bible stories, the ones told to children, involve God condoning, mandating or outright committing obscenities.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Yes, I would amend his statement.

"One cannot use the Bible as a moral guide because it condones things like genocide, murder, slavery, child abuse, and so on" unless you cherry pick your way through your moral guide. But then, what use is a moral guide if you toss out the parts you don't want to follow?

This brings up the old question, "If you programmed a robot to follow all biblical laws, would you feel safe having it in your home?"

I sure wouldn't.
(January 23, 2017 at 3:41 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: Do you really need a list? The common knowledge Bible stories, the ones told to children, involve God condoning, mandating or outright committing obscenities.

I want a list of the most shocking ones. I'll probably get into a conversation about it at some point and Christians have a way of ignoring or explaining away a lot of things. I think things like genocide and animal cruelty and stoning a kid for disobedience have more of a punch. Smile
Ah. A fellow pesterer of armchair scholars. Carry on, my friend.
A dude sacrificed his son to save people from himself.
Can't get any more shocking than that.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
I recall some passages in Numbers and Hosea wherein God orders his followers to slay pregnant women, which almost certainly qualifies as abortions (although admittedly radical ones) and there is at least one passage in Hosea where God is asked to cause pregnant women to miscarry.

The references to human cannibalism are in Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Jeremiah and Ezekiel, possibly more.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 23, 2017 at 3:46 pm)Jesster Wrote: Yes, I would amend his statement.

"One cannot use the Bible as a moral guide because it condones things like genocide, murder, slavery, child abuse, and so on" unless you cherry pick your way through your moral guide. But then, what use is a moral guide if you toss out the parts you don't want to follow?

This brings up the old question, "If you programmed a robot to follow all biblical laws, would you feel safe having it in your home?"

I sure wouldn't.

bold mine

It wouldn't work. To many conflicting laws. Just end up with fired circuit boards.

I think there were some Star Trek episodes built around this principle.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I was going to say, it'd blue screen in a second.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44085 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7437 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Christian Atrocities dyresand 54 7920 November 16, 2014 at 8:47 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Examples of the atrocities caused by Christianity BoS 25 5458 June 11, 2014 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Cato