Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't like this headline....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11260290

Quote:Belgium church abuse detailed by Adriaenssens report

It isn't about "church abuse." It's about children who were raped by priests.
RE: I don't like this headline....
You're right there, Min. It could be that watering down what's really happening causes people to overlook it.

You should start a news blog that really covers this shit. I bet, given a little bit of time, you would pick up a big following. Some people don't like being told that the priest was "inappropriate." Some of us like to get an idea of what the f'er did. I wish I could say that was because we want to know which body part should be cut off, but we're too politically correct for that.
I'm not.
(September 14, 2010 at 2:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm not.

Neither am I, in those cases. I was speaking about society as a whole. Punishment is not heavy enough for pedophiles. I've read about far too many cases where a kid is raped and killed and the murderer had been jailed for violent sex offenses against minors and let out.
Let me guess........This will be shoved into a corner and forgotten about.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(September 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm)Shell B Wrote: I've read about far too many cases where a kid is raped and killed and the murderer had been jailed for violent sex offenses against minors and let out.

Makes you wanna shake your fist with rage doesn't it?
I know a wanker over here who committed over 30 violent offences. He attacked and mugged many people, including children. He only got 5 years.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm)Ace Wrote: Makes you wanna shake your fist with rage doesn't it?

Unfortunately, my imagination knows little restraint. I would like to do far worse about it. It makes me very sad for the parents who have to go on knowing that their child's attacker was imprisoned and if he/she had stayed that way, they would still have their baby.

(September 14, 2010 at 3:55 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm)Ace Wrote: Makes you wanna shake your fist with rage doesn't it?

Unfortunately, my imagination knows little restraint. I would like to do far worse about it. It makes me very sad for the parents who have to go on knowing that their child's attacker was imprisoned and if he/she had stayed that way, they would still have their baby.

Over here we have a program called 'crimewatch'. It shows some of the most horrific crimes that have taken place in the UK. I don't often watch it because it makes me mad.
Saw one where three young lads(yobs) ganged up on an elderly man and had beaten him to death for fun. Saw another where 3 guys broke into a house and beaten to death two elderly people and stole everything.
Can't stand violent criminals. Makes me wanna go out and buy a crossbow so to hunt them down with. That's my idea of justice.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm)Ace Wrote: Can't stand violent criminals. Makes me wanna go out and buy a crossbow so to hunt them down with. That's my idea of justice.

I feel the same way. It's funny because I can't stand senseless violence (committed for "fun" or monetary gain). Yet, I condone violent retribution, in some cases. I don't think I could ever bring myself to be that kind of violent, unless it was in defense of a loved one, but I surely understand why people do it.

(September 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(September 14, 2010 at 4:19 pm)Ace Wrote: Can't stand violent criminals. Makes me wanna go out and buy a crossbow so to hunt them down with. That's my idea of justice.

I feel the same way. It's funny because I can't stand senseless violence (committed for "fun" or monetary gain). Yet, I condone violent retribution, in some cases. I don't think I could ever bring myself to be that kind of violent, unless it was in defense of a loved one, but I surely understand why people do it.

I honestly could shoot a yob with a crossbow and not flinch(even a little). Couldn't do it to anyone else. It has to be someone so horrifically evil as to use senseless violence for financial gain or enjoyment. I don't accept violence, but will apply it in self defense of my self, friends and family.
I can be violent but it's because I use reason that I don't. Had this one arsehole in school who kept pushing me, though I had the huge temptation to deck him, I didn't. Because I believed that I was better than that. However, sometimes violence is necessary. If you don't hit back, they'll keep pushing and assume that your a walk over. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Don't Ask Don't Tell is being relaxed while it is reviewed for a year Eilonnwy 2 1986 February 3, 2010 at 9:01 am
Last Post: leo-rcc