Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist Churches
Atheist Churches
I have met atheists who think it's a terrible idea to have an "atheist church," where people gather to hear music and listen to talks about science or what have you. I guess maybe because they're freethinkers and have kind of been loners in that way, or see themselves more individually and don't see the point.

I've heard of others who came from a Christian background and miss the sense of community and enjoy "atheist church."

What's your opinion?
RE: Atheist Churches
I don't think anybody is opposed to the activity as such. There are atheist and skeptical meet-ups everywhere all the time. I think the rub is in calling it a church. Church starts invoking the idea of creeds and rules.
Not interested.
If you want to join a club that's up to you.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
I emphatically think that people should do whatever the hell they feel like, so sure, whatever. If there were "inspirational" science and atheism meetups on sundays around here, maybe we'd go, maybe we wouldn't. Depends I guess.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Yeah, the people who do those Sunday Assembly things don't call it 'church' for a reason. You'd think the Christians wouldn't want to call it 'church' either, since it implies a place of Christian worship.

I attend UU, if there were a Sunday Assembly here and it was better than the UU (better talks, better music, just as good or better on charity), I'd start going to that instead. Incidentally, many UUs don't like their building being called a church.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
If it rocks someones boat, why not?

I rather meet up with likeminded people and atheism as such is just a very small fragment of what makes me as a person. Possibly the smallest.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Our mingling here is enough atheist-themed time for me so no thanks.
Do we get a free ride tax exemption?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Why not just go to the pub?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 27, 2017 at 6:27 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Why not just go to the pub?

Ah, communion.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts? madog 46 7338 June 21, 2016 at 4:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Churches losing membership four times faster than they are gaining it Mister Agenda 38 6613 March 27, 2015 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Are Nonreligious Organizations Able to Provide the Same Services as Churches? Nope 22 5785 March 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Atheist politician from Nebraska to churches: PAY YOUR TAXES Ryantology 16 3206 January 25, 2014 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Atheist mega-churches? Foxaèr 6 1358 November 26, 2013 at 5:57 am
Last Post: django