Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debunking hell
Debunking hell
1. The OT hell doesn't exist. 
2. Hell or Hel even Helheim is pagan in origin not a place of suffering it is a place were all the dead go it is a pagan belief.
3. The idea of hell we have came from zoroastrianism to convert the ancient pagans 

1  2 and 3 hell doesn't exist and satan doesn't as well.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Debunking hell
It does cause the priest said so
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 31, 2017 at 10:51 am)dyresand Wrote: 1. The OT hell doesn't exist. 
2. Hell or Hel even Helheim is pagan in origin not a place of suffering it is a place were all the dead go it is a pagan belief.
3. The idea of hell we have came from zoroastrianism to convert the ancient pagans 

1  2 and 3 hell doesn't exist and satan doesn't as well.

You know that facts don't mean anything to faith-heads.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
And as I have said before even if it did exist it's ultimately no worse then heaven
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

You just landed yourself in a deeper circle of Hell buddy!
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(January 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm)Aegon Wrote: You just landed yourself in a deeper circle of Hell buddy!

At least there is air conditioning there since all the scientists are in hell Tongue
and i mean wouldn't heaven technically be hot anyways with all that bright light everywhere.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(January 31, 2017 at 3:27 pm)Aegon Wrote: You just landed yourself in a deeper circle of Hell buddy!

If wikipedia was correct about its synopsis of Dante's Inferno, I think it's just shy of the deepest circle of hell that homosexuals are supposed occupy. I just find that to be an interesting bit of trivia.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Basically the entire basis for belief in Hell rests on arguments from authority; the Bible says it exists, the Church says it exists, so I believe it exists. This is the believer's essential point of view.

Once you get beyond such things and start to actually analyze the concept, that's when you get into the interesting criticism. For example, when it comes to psychological manipulation, there is no greater "carrot" than the hope for Heaven, and no greater "stick" than the fear of Hell. Heaven promises you happiness beyond your wildest dreams for all eternity; Hell promises you suffering beyond your wildest nightmares for all eternity. Both concepts are infinite in scope, meaning that no matter how many good things you imagine, Heaven is always better; and as for Hell, no matter how many bad things you imagine, Hell is always worse.

So thus far, Christianity (and other religions who share these beliefs) employs the ultimate "carrot" and the ultimate "stick" and use them to manipulate hopes and fears to enforce a certain code of conduct and belief. Already one should become suspicious that a belief system that claims to possess the transcendent truths of creation (derived from a benevolent and omniscient creator) employs such crude means to keep its adherents in line (making them terrified to leave the faith on the one hand due to Hell, but also invested in staying for the hope of the possibility of Heaven on the other).

Then it comes to empathetic arguments which I believe are some of the most persuasive in terms of viewing Hell as the sadistic absurdity it is. You often hear believers themselves express pause on this issue, fearing the possibility that they might end up in Heaven, but some of their loved ones might end up in Hell. Christian apologists try to address this by claiming that Heaven is so amazing that you won't even be sad that people you loved in your earthly life are suffering unspeakable horrors for eternity. Let that one sink in because it is absolutely disgusting, not to mention repugnant to any sense of empathy humans are capable of.

Your spouse who you dedicated your life to, your child who you raised with love and care from infancy, both of these people and others could one day be living in absolute torment, begging to be annihilated from existence so the pain would stop and in response the all loving, all merciful creator's reply is: no. It's okay though, you won't be sad, because Heaven is awesome. To hell with that. Simply accepting this point of view requires some high degree of selfishness to me, thinking that as long as you're happy and not feeling sad that loved ones are in agony for eternity, then it is all ultimately bearable. That's not love, wanting to be basically ignorant of the suffering of family and friends just to ensure your own happiness in the presence of the very being that maintains those loved ones in that state of perpetual and unending agony.
Hell doesn't need to be refuted or debunked because it's never been proven to exist in the first place. Nor can Christians explain how their "all-loving" God sends people there for minor, petty things like not visiting a church on Sunday morning.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I'm sorry, but OT hell? There is sheol in the old testament, but it's just the grave. It's even part of Babylonian cosmology, represented as a hollow hole in the ground. (Sheol can mean "hollow place".) But, I know, there are translation issues.

The god of the old testament *is* petty, though.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking the claim that Ramanujan received insights from a god Sicnoo0 20 1410 July 12, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  People are not 'Going to Hell' - they're already in Hell. The Kreisel 22 2329 February 18, 2021 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Debunking the myth of the Karmma Ephrium 12 20037 June 8, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Rain Wilber