Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 17, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ALIEN Convenant
ALIEN Convenant
Sir Ridley Scott is back with another attempt at the ALIEN universe following his 2012 movie Prometheus.  I was extremely hyped for Prometheus which might be why I felt so let down by the movie.  A lot of people complained that it wasn't ALIEN enough, but I haven't been interested in the "creature" since ALIENS.  My thinking was always, why are they so enamored with this critter when you have a ship from an advanced civilization to be examined.  Prometheus was supposed to be the movie to explore those beings.  What we got was a beautifully filmed movie with mediocre to poor characters, lots of questions, and virtually no answers.

Michael Fassbender returns as two characters.  He again will play the synthetic David from Prometheus as well as a different model Synthetic named Walter.  My expectations are much more tempered this time around.  My hope is to be pleasantly surprised.

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
RE: ALIEN Convenant
IANMTU:

This is the actual prototype of the 'alien' from the Alien franchise

[Image: 57000d1461204255-clinton-alien-vote-no-n...chball.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 10, 2017 at 12:19 am)vorlon13 Wrote: IANMTU:

Isn't that from Dark Star?

“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
I'm a huge fan of this franchise, I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm still excited about it.
I wasn't as disappointed with Prometheus as everyone else was. I think partly because I enjoyed the cinematography and thought it was one of the few movies where 3D was actually worth it.

That being said, I'm ignoring all of the hype around this movie, so I can go into it fresh without expectations. I did happen to catch a headline, though, that said it will be the goriest movie in the franchise. We'll see if that's a positive or a negative.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 10, 2017 at 12:29 am)Kosh Wrote:

Dark Star was a college project type of film from some of the same folks that later went on to launch the Alien franchise.  The sub plot of an alien loose on the spaceship was played for laughs in Dark Star, the idea took a rather grim tone in Alien and all the rest.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It looks good! It's got my adrenalin going! Can't wait!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(March 10, 2017 at 12:29 am)Kosh Wrote:

Scene from Dark Star:

[Image: tumblr_mr6wei1QgC1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif]

Scene from Aliens:

[Image: giphy.gif]

I bet any of you here a sixpack of good stuff that I hate Prometheus more than you.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Prometheus was retarded. I don't understand why they needed to go Däniken and in a lame way "Look there are dots on some cave wall they must represent stars - let's go there." I mean it's not just lame but also worn-out. You have group of people that discover caves that turn out to be buried spaceship and in the process they go trough biological metamorphosis. When Stephen King did same thing in book and TV show off that book "The Tommyknockers" was accused of re-making "Quatermass and the Pit".

And with this movie it looks like a soft-reboot. My verdict is INVENT SOMETHING NEW, or if nothing else take some SF novel/story and film that. There is plenty of that to be made. And why? Because this world need new, fresh ideas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1061 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Alien Resurrection (1997) Darwinian 1 1193 May 9, 2010 at 6:46 am
Last Post: fr0d0