Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding a nonreligious S/O
Finding a nonreligious S/O
To preface, let me say that this is in no way intended to be a pity party, poor me or whine session. 

A quick background..I'm an atheist (though i like nonreligious better) guy from in the south and have been thinking for a while since the last girl I was with was really religious that i'd just save my self grief and be true to myself and just try to find someone who didn't subscribe to any religion. For me it has become a necessity as I don't want future problems arising as I know now this is likely where i'll stand belief wise the rest of my life (im in my late 20's). Even if the ONLY thing we disagreed on was religion, I feel like it would slowly drive a big wedge between us as people get older they tend to cling more to religious belief and social stigma doesn't help. 

I guess it just becomes tedious at times meeting new people and having to guess if they are religious or not. It's America, and the majority of people are that way and the majority of people I will meet will be that way, if not all of them. I suppose that's disheartening. It really leaves it up to only dating sites which to me (maybe wrongly) seem superficial to actually find a lifelong partner on.

Anyone else struggle with this? I'm not even looking for a hardcore atheist chick, haha. Just one that isn't interested in religion and is otherwise just like most every other American. Guess it's not that simple..like finding a needle in a haystack in our country.
RE: Finding a nonreligious S/O
There are a lot of American girls who don't care much about religion one way or the other. Growing up, I was the only one in my group of high school friends who even went to church.

Now a days I know more religious ppl from being in the military, but there are plenty of ppl in america who arent.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Don't downplay the sexual thrill of boinking a believer.

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I didn't think any non-theists lived in my town until I started an atheist meetup (meetup.com). We'd hang out and have beers, basically. I met a lot of very cool individuals that remain my friends today. I can't believe I was missing out on them! Ever thought of doing something like that? You wouldn't even have to say it was with the intention of finding a SO. You could just see what happens, and if you don't meet an atheist chick, you made some friends maybe.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
Wear a t-shirt like this.

[Image: 41gIr-KO4eL._SX342_.jpg]

If you walk past a girl who knows what it is you have a possibility.
(March 13, 2017 at 9:58 pm)Mamacita Wrote: I didn't think any non-theists lived in my town until I started an atheist meetup (meetup.com). We'd hang out and have beers, basically. I met a lot of very cool individuals that remain my friends today. I can't believe I was missing out on them! Ever thought of doing something like that? You wouldn't even have to say it was with the intention of finding a SO. You could just see what happens, and if you don't meet an atheist chick, you made some friends maybe.

That's a great idea and I often forget that's an option.
(March 13, 2017 at 9:57 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Don't downplay the sexual thrill of boinking a believer.

Tongue

. . . especially if you're doing something  . .

. . um . .

. . er . .

perverse.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 13, 2017 at 9:54 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: There are a lot of American girls who don't care much about religion one way or the other. Growing up, I was the only one in my group of high school friends who even went to church.

Now a days I know more religious ppl from being in the military, but there are plenty of ppl in america who arent.

While the first couple of sentences are undoubtedly true, I think they'd still identify as christian/catholic believing in god when it came down to it. So i suppose there are a ton of people who don't care about religion yet still identify as religious.
Hello and welcome PF!

I'm married to a catholic (cafeteria, marginally practicing). We worked it out and our differences are not a source of contention. Even though she is nuts in that area. HAH!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 13, 2017 at 10:26 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Hello and welcome PF!

I'm married to a catholic (cafeteria, marginally practicing). We worked it out and our differences are not a source of contention. Even though she is nuts in that area. HAH!

There are exceptions. I give you that. Personally, I wouldn't date a religious person if she came with Ellen Page in her pocket. No, thanks. Been there. Done that. I prefer the "run from that" method.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finding contractor(s) advice. brewer 24 5921 June 30, 2017 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Coming to terms with not finding romantic love dyresand 19 4489 July 22, 2015 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  Your thoughts on finding "the one"? FallentoReason 41 6415 August 14, 2014 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Drich