Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin McGuinness Snuffs It
Martin McGuinness Snuffs It
I've got mixed feelings about this. I don't have it in me to forgive or forget the carnage he fostered as an IRA commander, but, in fairness, he spent the last 20-odd years of his life in a legitimate effort to get the gun out of Irish politics.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Martin McGuinness Snuffs It
66 younger than I thought.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(March 21, 2017 at 6:20 pm)Mr Greene Wrote: 66 younger than I thought.

'It's not the years - it's the mileage.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I despise the IRA (and loyalist paramilitaries, although, admittedly, I did go through a phase of seeing them as "protectors" and "freedom fighters" in the past) but I don't know how to feel about this. Yes, he was an IRA commander and I certainly don't think his past should be forgotten that easily, but as you say, he did spend years working towards his goals in a peaceful and democratic manner. Even I have to give him credit for that.
Terrorist/Freedom Fighter delete as personal bias.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

(March 24, 2017 at 6:54 am)Isis Wrote: I despise the IRA (and loyalist paramilitaries, although, admittedly, I did go through a phase of seeing them as "protectors" and "freedom fighters" in the past) but I don't know how to feel about this. Yes, he was an IRA commander and I certainly don't think his past should be forgotten that easily, but as you say, he did spend years working towards his goals in a peaceful and democratic manner. Even I have to give him credit for that.

What makes the French Resistance freedom fighters or the IRA terrorists? It all depends on the side you are on. But from their perspective they both fought occupying forces, using violent means. It's all in the eye of the beholder.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 24, 2017 at 8:52 am)abaris Wrote: What makes the French Resistance freedom fighters or the IRA terrorists? It all depends on the side you are on. But from their perspective they both fought occupying forces, using violent means. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Indiscriminate targeting of civilians?
The French could be pretty indiscriminate on occasion. 
The Provos at least tended to give warnings prior to bombings, unlike the Real variety, I can't remember if the Continuity did or not.
-Esquilax

(March 24, 2017 at 6:54 am)Isis Wrote: I despise the IRA (and loyalist paramilitaries, although, admittedly, I did go through a phase of seeing them as "protectors" and "freedom fighters" in the past) but I don't know how to feel about this. Yes, he was an IRA commander and I certainly don't think his past should be forgotten that easily, but as you say, he did spend years working towards his goals in a peaceful and democratic manner. Even I have to give him credit for that.

Hello, Bella.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(March 24, 2017 at 8:23 pm)Tazzycorn Wrote: Hello, Bella.

Not even close, given the second half of the statement.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Martin and Zimmerman - A reasoned logical discussion Puddleglum 27 11018 September 12, 2012 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Puddleglum
Wink Trayvin Martin 5thHorseman 2 2102 March 23, 2012 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Tiberius