Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synchronicity vs Apophenia
Synchronicity vs Apophenia
So which one do you guys think is more likely, our universe runs on a basis of synchronicity or is that just a man-made construct that seeks to find patterns in supposedly randomly given data. I'm looking forward to seeing your guy's answers.
RE: Synchronicity vs Apophenia
I would love to give you an answer, but I have not the faintest what your question means. Is that supposed to be an either/or possibility?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

If you mean Jungian synchronicity, then that answer is right out - synchronicity is bullshit.

I'm not sure I understand the second bit. The universe isn't a 'man-made construct', that much seems clear. I'm unclear as to what you mean by 'find patterns in supposedly randomly given data.' If there are patterns, then the data aren't random. Given by whom?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 1, 2017 at 4:40 pm)Alex K Wrote: I would love to give you an answer, but I have not the faintest what your question means. Is that supposed to be an either/or possibility?

I'm asking whether synchronicity is plausible or is it just us trying to justify patterns that we observe.

(April 1, 2017 at 4:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you mean Jungian synchronicity, then that answer is right out - synchronicity is bullshit.

I'm not sure I understand the second bit.  The universe isn't a 'man-made construct', that much seems clear.  I'm unclear as to what you mean by 'find patterns in supposedly randomly given data.'  If there are patterns, then the data aren't random.  Given by whom?

Boru

I was referring to synchronicity being a man-made construct.
And what do you think about the alternatives ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What is synchronicity?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 1, 2017 at 5:03 pm)Flavius Wrote:
(April 1, 2017 at 4:40 pm)Alex K Wrote: I would love to give you an answer, but I have not the faintest what your question means. Is that supposed to be an either/or possibility?

I'm asking whether synchronicity is plausible or is it just us trying to justify patterns that we observe.

(April 1, 2017 at 4:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If you mean Jungian synchronicity, then that answer is right out - synchronicity is bullshit.

I'm not sure I understand the second bit.  The universe isn't a 'man-made construct', that much seems clear.  I'm unclear as to what you mean by 'find patterns in supposedly randomly given data.'  If there are patterns, then the data aren't random.  Given by whom?

Boru

I was referring to synchronicity being a man-made construct.

Of course, it's a man-made construct - it was dreamed up by a crazy man.

(to Alex) Synchronicity is Jung's nutty notion that coincidences are related because they seem to be. Thus, if I win the lottery on the same day I stubbed my toe, Jung would proclaim that stubbing my toe and winning the lottery are not causally connected, but 'meaningfully connected'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Ah in that case it's simply confirmation bias and the lottery fallacy. I wouldn't even call it apophenia.

(April 1, 2017 at 4:33 pm)Flavius Wrote: So which one do you guys think is more likely, our universe runs on a basis of synchronicity or is that just a man-made construct that seeks to find patterns in supposedly randomly given data. I'm looking forward to seeing your guy's answers.

Yes
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(April 1, 2017 at 5:17 pm)Alex K Wrote: What is synchronicity?

. . . things happening at the same time? Tongue

I'm not sure why this word needs a capital "S" though.