Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we becoming like the Americans?
Are we becoming like the Americans?
http://news.aol.co.uk/third-of-teachers-...5309990001
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Are we becoming like the Americans?
I am really hoping that it was an unrepresentative sample....
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Is this true? Is this correct? And this is in Britain right? Since you said 'we' and you're British? Right?
And its on aol.uk
Hope its not true! Its ridiculous!
In March some Dutch jokers have planned to send around pamphlets door to door in defense of creationism.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Oh man that article made me sick =/
I was so happy this year when I realised none of my 8 teachers rejected evolution (alot of teachers. it's a small school so the subjects have to be split between mulitple staff members). This can't be representative, unless the majority of "science teachers" only teach at a very low level, such as a year 4 science teacher talking about a series circuit with one resistor. No teacher who understands science at GCSE level or higher would agree to this... surely O_o
(December 23, 2008 at 7:14 am)Darwinian Wrote: http://news.aol.co.uk/third-of-teachers-...5309990001

Darwinian, can't say I'm surprised by these findings. Watching RD confront some science teachers on his recent tv series who were basically saying that their function was not to challenge their pupils' ( wow a really oldy word ) religious faiths proves the point.
It is also unsurprising, given that we live in reactionary times, where right-wing views are prevalent and what is more reactionary than harking back to blind faith?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I'm going through old Skeptics Guide to the Universe and they had Matthew Chapman on (Darwin's Great Great Grandson) and he said that the Creationist movement is just starting to get going in the UK.

Since I live in a liberal northern state there isn't much in the way of creationism in the classroom going on up here (that I'm aware of, of course) it's mostly a southern state thing. So I often find myself in the same bought you guys probably feel when you hear about the controversy. Mostly "Wait, this is serious argument?"
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
More info on the subject at RDF : http://www.richarddawkins.net/article,34...teve-Jones
Went to Scotland for a few days, and I passed Newcastle I saw a huge sign "Science is the future. The future is here. Newcastle- science city". It was somewhat reassuring to see it. But on the way home, as I was approachign Newcastle I saw a different sign, even bigger and bolder "Have Faith in God". We seem to be kinda split in the UK. However, I think it's safe to say that we're heading towards an atheist future. So many young people are atheist, and when they grow up and become the teachers, the MPs, the lobbyists, they won't be in favour of pushing ridiculous beliefs down the throats of the following generations like they were pushed down theirs. Of course, I'm only basing this on Doncaster where religion is laughed at in assembly.

Actually, that just reminded me, back in year 7 (first year of high school. Age 11-12), Mr Haige was talking about achievement and made a spectacular speech during an assembly. "If you want to achieve in life, it starts here in school. If you fail school, you'll be stuck in a terrible job with a mean boss, long hours and small pay. And don't think any fairies will save you. When you die, you die. I don't care what religion you come from, Hindu, Catholic, Muslim or Jew, when you die you will never materialise on this earth again, nor will you materialise anywhere else. This is your one shot at life. Please, work hard and make the most of it."

Imagine that being said in Texas... Tongue
(December 23, 2008 at 10:13 am)leo-rcc Wrote: In March some Dutch jokers have planned to send around pamphlets door to door in defense of creationism.
Maybe you know already, but anyhow, there is a way to stop pulp creationism at your front door. And also sunday the 8th of february in Amsterdam there is an event I am planning to attend.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Americans Just Stupid? Foxaèr 42 2675 October 11, 2020 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Climate impact of Europeans killing native Americans Anomalocaris 14 962 February 2, 2019 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Genetic study suggest Polynesians had contact with Native Americans before Columbus Anomalocaris 0 919 October 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris