Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's 10 PM - Do You Know Where Your Aircraft Carriers Are?
It's 10 PM - Do You Know Where Your Aircraft Carriers Are?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/world....html?_r=0

Quote:WASHINGTON — As worries deepened last week about whether North Korea would conduct a missile test, the White House declared that ordering an American aircraft carrier into the Sea of Japan would send a powerful deterrent signal and give President Trump more options in responding to the North’s provocative behavior.

The problem was, the carrier, the Carl Vinson, and the four other warships in its strike force were at that very moment sailing in the opposite direction, to take part in joint exercises with the Australian Navy in the Indian Ocean, 3,500 miles southwest of the Korean Peninsula.

Fucking amateurs.
RE: It's 10 PM - Do You Know Where Your Aircraft Carriers Are?
I'm surprised Australia didn't just send their ships to support any potential attack and call it part of an "exercise".

We're usually SO good at jumping on the bandwagon when there's the potential for an American war.
Dying to live, living to die.
Is Australia still looking for that missing Malaysian airliner ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 18, 2017 at 6:47 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Is Australia still looking for that missing Malaysian airliner ?

I think the search has been called off.

There are only private companies and individuals still searching, as far as I'm aware.
(April 18, 2017 at 6:19 pm)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/18/world....html?_r=0

Quote:WASHINGTON — As worries deepened last week about whether North Korea would conduct a missile test, the White House declared that ordering an American aircraft carrier into the Sea of Japan would send a powerful deterrent signal and give President Trump more options in responding to the North’s provocative behavior.

The problem was, the carrier, the Carl Vinson, and the four other warships in its strike force were at that very moment sailing in the opposite direction, to take part in joint exercises with the Australian Navy in the Indian Ocean, 3,500 miles southwest of the Korean Peninsula.

Fucking amateurs.

This is clusterfuckery on a whole new level. With this degree of competence, I'm going to be scared shitless if Trump declares war on Syria - US commandos will probably show up in my back garden.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Operational groups regularly get diverted for contingencies, and will break off exercises to do so. This isn't extraordinary.

(April 18, 2017 at 7:19 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Operational groups regularly get diverted for contingencies, including breaking off exercises.

But if they don't exercise they'll get fat!

Big Grin
I think we're seeing Maslow's Hammer beating Trump's brains out, with this "crisis". Or that is has been manufactured as a deflection (hence the scare quotes).

(April 18, 2017 at 6:30 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: I'm surprised Australia didn't just send their ships to support any potential attack and call it part of an "exercise".

We're usually SO good at jumping on the bandwagon when there's the potential for an American war.

Do they have a tuba player on board?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 18, 2017 at 7:19 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Operational groups regularly get diverted for contingencies, and will break off exercises to do so. This isn't extraordinary.

But it is also not what happened.

Quote:White House officials said Tuesday that they had been relying on guidance from the Defense Department. Officials there described a glitch-ridden sequence of events, from an ill-timed announcement of the deployment by the military’s Pacific Command to an erroneous explanation by the defense secretary, Jim Mattis — all of which perpetuated the false narrative that a flotilla was racing toward the waters off North Korea.

By the time the White House was asked about the Carl Vinson, its imminent arrival had been emblazoned on front pages across East Asia, fanning fears that Mr. Trump was considering a pre-emptive military strike. It was portrayed as further evidence of the president’s muscular style days after he ordered a missile strike on Syria while he and President Xi Jinping of China were chatting over dessert during a meeting in Florida.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists: Where are you? And who wants to know? Sanau 21 1286 March 29, 2020 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Well! Wbat do you know! chimp3 6 998 July 15, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Hey Fuckface- When It Reaches Ken Starr Territory You Can Let Us Know Minimalist 0 384 May 15, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  10 things that you did not know about immigrants. Jehanne 31 4089 April 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Yeah, We Know, Charlie. But These Are Your Friends Minimalist 3 1006 March 28, 2018 at 9:10 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Hey Jared! Do You Know What "Sweet Cheeks" Means In Jail? Minimalist 8 992 January 20, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Do you know why wars happens and why middle east is robbed? Safirno 12 2101 July 9, 2016 at 11:48 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Tell Us Something We Didn't Know - You Cocksucker Minimalist 4 806 April 7, 2016 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  You Know What? Minimalist 2 495 March 22, 2016 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Well What Do You Know? Minimalist 11 1932 June 14, 2015 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho