Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do...
What to do...
All right, first off: I'm not a born debater, so I need a little help. The kids at my Catholic school have leaned I'm an atheist, and are saying stuff like "Then how was the universe created? How did we get here? Prove god doesn't exist," and all this crap. How can I respond to this? (It doesn't need to be nice)
Trudging through endless religion one step at a time.
RE: What to do...
Well since they are the ones who seem to have all the answers, such as the big one that is the creation of the universe Id tell them that the burden of proof lies with them. God can neither be proven to exist or not to exist but that dosen't mean its 50 50 or that they are right. Their god would have to be an infinity more complex than the universe he claims to have created, so I'd put it to them why can't the universe have just always been? Why is it that they need to invoke a higher, more complex power to try and explain the universe when all that does is makes it more complex. Then I'd also point out that what makes them think that if there was a god, that their idea of what god is, is right? Why can't it be that its one of the many thousands of different gods humans have used to explain things they cant understand throughout history? While they're responding to all that, stab them in the chest then go rape their sisters, plan world domination and be the immoral Atheist you are!!! MWAHAHAHA!!
I'm answering these how I would answer them. On a side note, I would ask my parents to switch schools.

"Then how was the universe created?"
I don't know, but me not knowing doesn't mean an invisible being did it.

"How did we get here?"
Through the evolutionary process.

"Prove god doesn't exist."
No, the burden of proof is not on me. You prove he exists.
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
I'd also say that if they were born on the other side of the world they would be following a different religion. Or if they were born in a different time they could be worshipping Thor. And if they can't see that it's purely an accident of birth that they believe in the god that they do, then they are fucking idiots.
No need to be a debater, just say you don't know, science is doing pretty well explaining stuff and helping us along the way, mabe it can someday answer those questions. When they start to mock you, ask them how do they know, and if they care to present the evidence for god first, since they are the ones with the burden of proof. When they say "The Bible" laugh, and turn away. Talking with teenage theists too much, dries your brain cells faster than with adult ones.
(September 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm)Nitsuj Wrote: All right, first off: I'm not a born debater, so I need a little help. The kids at my Catholic school have leaned I'm an atheist, and are saying stuff like "Then how was the universe created? How did we get here? Prove god doesn't exist," and all this crap. How can I respond to this? (It doesn't need to be nice)

Easy mate, just answer honestly.
Quick example:

Quote:Then how was the universe created?

I do not know. No one knows.

Quote:How did we get here?
Big bang - Abiogenisis - Evolution. Best explanation I can give with the support of science.

Quote:Prove god doesn't exist
Prove FSM doesn't exist. Do that and I might try disproving god. Tongue
Or...you're claim, it's down to you to prove it. Atheists are not expected nor responsible to prove or disprove anything.

Quick counters are all thats needed. Even experianced theist debators would have trouble with such basic counters. Keep your head clear and don't back down. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Don't get in a shouting match with them it will only make matters worse especially for you. They are teens just like you and no one wants to be wrong about what they believe so arguing want help either. My suggestions:
1.) Make friends with one of them so that person can help them understand how you feel, please choose this friend carefully, teens can fall to peer pressure quickly you need some one that's strong.
2.) Ask if they truely believe that Jesus would question you in such a way or would He talk to you with the love He showed others in the Bible. Let them know that you have the freewill to make your own choices just as they do.

If you try to be confrontational with them it will only result in making matters worse for you and I personally would not want to see that happen to you.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(September 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm)Nitsuj Wrote: All right, first off: I'm not a born debater, so I need a little help. The kids at my Catholic school have leaned I'm an atheist, and are saying stuff like "Then how was the universe created? How did we get here? Prove god doesn't exist," and all this crap. How can I respond to this? (It doesn't need to be nice)

How was the Universe Created?
Hmm. I don't know that. That's certainly a valid query and one that many scientists are trying to figure out. But really, is the argument that "we don't know how the universe created so therefore God did it," any more valid than the argument that "we don't know much about the origin of the moon, so therefore it's made of cheese?"

How did we get here?
To quote Robin Ince, "The universe existed for 16 billion years, the earth formed 4.6 billion years ago, and it was initially barren of life for the first .6 billion years, but suddenly, amino acid forms, and eventually they flooded the oceans, and they grew and they grew and expanded and expanded, and eventually they formed into unicellular organisms, and the unicellular organisms best adapted to survive thrived and eventually yielded multicellular organisms, and the multicellular organisms best adapted to survive with the atmospheric and changing weather conditions grew and they grew and THUS WE END UP HERE!"

Prove God Doesn't Exist.
One simply cannot prove a negative. One cannot prove definitively that faeries, ogres, and unicorns do not exist, but we seem content to live as if they do not exist. However, since the existence of a God who creates something from nothing violates the basic law of Conservation of Mass, the burden of proof, is in fact, upon you.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
well you can go here for starters----> http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?title=Main_Page ALOT of good info and counter arguments
Did I make a good point? thumbs up Smile I cant help it I'm a Kudos whore. P.S. Jesus is a MYTH.

Hey Nitsuj, how are things?
I just read you bio,

Nitsuj Wrote:Washington, Missouri. I'm a 14 year old atheist who is going to a Catholic school in the Bible Belt. If hell existed, this would be it.

and all your posts including

Nitsuj Wrote:I am Nitsuj. I am 14 years old, but don't let that deter you. I feel very strongly in my atheistic beliefs, and would like to share them with others. I am entering High school, and am moving to go to a CATHOLIC school. I am worried. I don't know how I am going to take all this crap they shove down our throats about "God" this and "Jesus" that. I'm going to have to pretend to participate in school prayer, for God's sake! To make this worse, my dad teaches there. He doesn't know about my atheism, because I don't dare tell him. That side of my family is very religous. (My parents are divorced) I became an atheist gradually, by going to church and seeing how stupid the crap they do there is, and I discovered how frivolous Catholicism is. You do something bad, you go to church. "REPENT! REPENT! Oh, please, forgive us!" It makes me sick. Especially the kneeling. Seriously? It's bad enough eating "the body and blood of our savior," but going down on your knees and GROVELING for forgiveness. Uh...no. Anyway, I am Nitsuj. I hope you welcome me.

Can I ask if you have told your mum and dad about your atheism and/or about the other students nagging? Remembering if this question is too personal you don't have to answer it?