Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fry the blasphemer
Fry the blasphemer
Following his laser-guided smackdown on Gay Byrne's show in 2015, Stephen Fry is being investigated for blasphemy under Irish Republic defamation laws.

Quote:Appearing on The Meaning of Life, hosted by Gay Byrne, in February 2015, Fry had been asked what he might say to God at the gates of heaven.

Fry said: "How dare you create a world in which there is such misery? It's not our fault? It's not right. It's utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?"

He went on to say that Greek gods "didn't present themselves as being all seeing, all wise, all beneficent", adding "the god who created this universe, if it was created by god, is quite clearly a maniac, an utter maniac, totally selfish".

The Irish Independent reported a member of the public made a complaint to police in Ennis in the same month the programme was broadcast. He was recently contacted by a detective to say they were looking into his complaint.

The viewer was not said to be offended himself but believed Fry's comments qualified as blasphemy under the law, which carries a maximum penalty of a fine of 25,000 euros (£22,000).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39830447

Yet again, a god so utterly devoid of power that it can't even take offence by itself.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Fry the blasphemer
I don't much fancy their chances of convicting Stephen Fry of blasphemy.  Why?  Because he's Stephen Fry.  Big lad, can look after himself.

Boru

edit: On the link to the story, I scrolled and found another link announcing that the fifth Indiana Jones film has had its release date pushed back to 2020. The article didn't come right out and say so, but I suspect that the delay is due to Harrison Ford needing more time to bathe in the blood of virgins.
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Gee, wonder what the Irish authorities would think of me rubbing my penis to the point of orgasm in one of Jesus' nail holes ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 6, 2017 at 5:32 pm)Cyberman Wrote: Yet again, a god so utterly devoid of power that it can't even take offence by itself.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if the christer gawd could take a shit without help from the faithful.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
IIRC, some variety of Judaism has a 'successful defecation' prayer of thanks . . .

I suppose praising God for His having a good BM would be construed favorably at least by some of the faithful . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Ireland has blasphemy laws? I knew they were ultra-Christian but I had figured they were advanced enough to have dumped laws like that. Or, at least have them on the books in name only.
Dear Ireland,

Please keep your Jesus freaks. We have enough in the U.S.

Love,
Crossless1
[Image: CpmTjysXEAEPYdc.jpg]

[Image: Pentecost-2-rickygervais-e1433041705399.jpg]

[Image: robert-ingersoll.jpg]

Fuck the Irish....fuck the catholicks and most of all fuck their god.
Why would an all powerful god need humans to protect him from being called nasty names?
I have been insulted many times and I got over it, am I better than god??
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

jesus fucking christ Ireland, what the hell is wrong with you?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 767 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd