Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy crap! 4K UHD.
Holy crap! 4K UHD.
Just bought one of these. Decided to test it with "Avatar". Ten minutes in and I'm checking my coffee for traces of LSD. 

Yeah, I'm a late adopter. You brave souls can boldly go where only betas have gone before. If you survive I'll give you a kudo and a pat on the back.
RE: Holy crap! 4K UHD.
how big?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 17, 2017 at 6:34 am)ignoramus Wrote: how big?

Boss Lady says if a guy is doing the measuring it would be 86".  Big Grin

We bought a 43" because this is the hangout/office TV and one of the wall-o-picture monsters won't fit, thank Buddha.
I've had a 55" 4K for about a year and a half now, and, yeah, I'd never drop down again.
The first ever 1080 TV I got was a small one for the kitchen, and that was only about 6 months prior to the 4K. When I first watched it I was like "Hell yeah. This is way better than the CRT that refused to die for 11 frickin years!" Then I get the 4K and it changes to "Ugh, this looks like crap now."
Tongue  Relativity at its finest.
4K really is crazy quality. Affordable, too. I don't have one but I went into Best Buy stoned a few weeks ago and just stared in awe at one of the 4K displays for much longer than I should have...
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
And, of course, the set we bought is now on sale at Wally Weird for $50 less.
and note if you have, let's say a 60" HDTV that isn't 4K, realize the pixels are of a certain (tiny) size, and your viewing distance is related to the size of those pixels.  Optimally, one should sit just beyond the distance where your eye(s) can make out those pixels such that you are seeing maximally all the detail in the picture. Afterall, if you're 5 or 6 times too far away, you have de-res'd the picture back to standard definition, and lord knows we've had our fill of that!

So, it works the other way too.  If 10 feet away is just past the distance where you can make out the pixels, and you then buy a TV with pixels roughly 4 times smaller, then you should sit 4 times closer.

So, that would be 30 inches in regards to the prior 10 foot viewing distance.

See where this is headed?

If you buy a 4K TV and don't want to move your recliner to 30 inches from the new TV, you need to get a BIGGER TV to get those 4 times as many pixels up to the same size as the pixels on your old HD TV.

In the case of replacing a 60" TV, and you're not wanting to move your recliner, you'll need to get a 120" TV.

Or resign yourself to the fact you're paying money on picture quality you will NEVER enjoy.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I've had a 53 curved uhd for a while now, don't get to watch much, but even then I don't see what's the buzz about fine details and such. honestly, I feel I am seeing the same amount of details as my old 48 set.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 17, 2017 at 12:52 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: I've had a 53 curved uhd for a while now, don't get to watch much, but even then I don't see what's the buzz about fine details and such. honestly, I feel I am seeing the same amount of details as my old 48 set.

adjust your seating position so that your eyes are 20" away from the screen

you have to be in the sweet spot !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 17, 2017 at 12:52 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: I've had a 53 curved uhd for a while now, don't get to watch much, but even then I don't see what's the buzz about fine details and such. honestly, I feel I am seeing the same amount of details as my old 48 set.

I ran "Avatar" on my new TV and kept trying to see around objects in the background. It was that good.