Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late?
How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late?
I thought late means recently dead (late=lately or of late). But how is recently defined quantitatively? You wolldn't say "the late George Washington" or "the late Elvis Presley." But would you say "the late Ronald Reagan" or "the late Rick James?"
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late?
I doubt I ever used the term late in reference to someone who was dead.

And you are correct, the term late is in reference to a recent death. None of those deaths you listed were recent.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late?
From the Grammarist:

Quote:In reference to a recently deceased person, the late shows respect. It’s often used to inform or remind readers that a mentioned person has died recently, and it’s sometimes a polite way of saying recently deceased, even when virtually everyone knows that the person is recently deceased. In general, it applies to anyone who has died in the last decade or so, and it almost always carries a note of reverence. So, for example, the late Osama bin Laden might strike some English speakers as too respectful.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I cannot remember who said it, but it is something akin to:

If you are not pissing someone off with your writing, then you are doing it wrong.

Therefore, fuck Reverent Late.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
How the fuck did that get started anyway? And what are they late for?
They may be late, but I'm guessing they aren't showing up at all. The dead are notoriously unreliable for social engagements.
I'm not so sure. Elvis seems to be around quite a bit, if you read the tabloids. Big Grin
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
I can't wait to refer to the late Donald Trump.
I like the decade rule FatAndFaithless quoted for famous people. For people you know personally I would think maybe a year, two tops. Well... to easily explain that you are a widow(er) it wouldn't hurt to refer to them as your late husband... oh hell I can argue all day long why you need an oxford comma but I don't know this answer.

(May 18, 2017 at 11:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: I can't wait to refer to the late Donald Trump.

lmao you are going to hell for that one Tongue
I reckon I am too for laughing so hard.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(May 18, 2017 at 10:06 am)Rhondazvous Wrote: You wolldn't say "the late George Washington" or "the late Elvis Presley."

Of course you wouldn't say "the late Elvis Presley." He's not dead. He just went home.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4113 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 405 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Let them eat spam! Foxaèr 33 2079 September 13, 2020 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 806 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Should poor people have kids? BrokenQuill92 78 5372 November 29, 2019 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92
  Long time no see T.J. 15 1338 August 8, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  When someone says something really stupid. Cod 8 1551 July 28, 2019 at 7:35 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  sorry for the late notice Drich 26 1852 May 12, 2019 at 2:35 am
Last Post: WolfsChild
  A day with someone from AF Cod 76 7077 April 27, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: Shell B
Music The best advice someone gave you. onlinebiker 65 6217 April 14, 2019 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3