Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passing of time/old movies warning youngens...
Passing of time/old movies warning youngens...
Some movies age well, I think the ones that rely more on acting and less on CG do better. A couple I love for example are "Key Largo" and "A Patch of Blue".

Today I just now finished watching a rerun of the first " Lethal Weapon" and while it was a blockbuster then, and it sounded and looked crisp and shiny, it looks so stupid now.

One of the scenes Riggs gets shot with a shotgun and flies back, and maybe it is just the now realist in me knowing humans dont do that, it looks stupid. The other plot hole was that the drug dealers kidnapped Murtaw's daughter to blackmail them into seeing if they knew where the drug deal would go down, but all I could think was why go to that length just switch the location. If you are corrupt former special opps, as the movie implies, should be able to ditch flatfoots. 

But even beyond that the sharpness and colors and music in old movies isn't there and it always seems to lose the new car smell luster after a few decades. I also got into the Friday The 13th movies as a teen, but watching them now they look totally stupid.

What movies, or TV shows have you looked back on and said to yourself, that looks soooooooo stupid now.
RE: Passing of time/old movies warning youngens...
I would like to see Longest Hundred Miles again to see how well it's aged. Just can't find it.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Looks like it's on YouTube, damn I hate bogging down the internet here and watching on laptop a too heavily compressed copy of a bad VHS dub . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I annually re-watch only four movies.

Teen Witch
Hocus Pocus
Date with an Angel
The Little Mermaid
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Panic Panic Panic Panic

If I had to choose an old, old, old movie to re-watch, it would be a toss-up between these two:

An Affair to Remember
Breakfast at Tiffany's
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The B/W In Cold Blood still packs a wallop.

Curiously, I really liked the current era Capote treatment too.

I have a big collection of DVDs, and they vary wildly in when they were made.

To give you some idea, The oldest film in my collection is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919), and the most recent one is Jesus Bro (a religious spoof from The Cinema Snob's Brad Jones, released Direct to DVD this Good Friday). The most recent films I bought are Prisoners and a six-pack of Randolph Scott Westerns (one old enough that Angela Lansbury actually plays a young woman in one!).

I honestly don't think that the films in my collection really skew too heavily in one direction chronologically. Well, maybe there aren't as many silent films as I'd like, but given that Kino and Criterion more or less have a lock on them in R1 and they tend to be expensive, that's likely more for practical reasons. And I suspect that if I catalogued it all by year and decade, there might be a fewer films from the 80s than many might expect, maybe because I think it may be the weakest decade in cinema, due to studios stagnating into the blockbuster "high concept" era and independents not really rising.

Also, with regards to the OP, I think Key Largo is okay, but nothing compared to the other Bogie/Huston film of 1948, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(June 10, 2017 at 4:08 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Today I just now finished watching a rerun of the first " Lethal Weapon" and while it was a blockbuster then, and it sounded and looked crisp and shiny, it looks so stupid now.

What I find more problematic is that they change the movies. I remember I wanted to re-watch "Lethal Weapon" few years ago because I watched it a lot in 90s, but when movie started I was flabbergasted since this was clearly not that movie. It had some different beginning in which Riggs (Gibson) is in some shoot-out in front of some High School. WTF! That was obviously deleted scene that they threw in for some DVD version or what not. Needles to say the scene was shit and I didn't want to watch anymore, because who knows what other garbage they threw in as well. Dodgy

Or I remember I sat down to watch Terminator 2 with my nephew and again some "different" movie began. My nephew started complaining that the movie is boring and he was right. In this version it starts with Sarah Connor's dream where Michael Biehn is telling her that new terminator is coming and it goes on and on and on. So I had to find theatrical cut.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I recently watched First Blood for the first time in forever.

Holy crap that's a bad movie!
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Movies you'd like to see remade Fake Messiah 83 6261 November 8, 2023 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Great Missed Opportunities in Movies. Gawdzilla Sama 5 675 October 25, 2023 at 4:31 pm
  Worst scenes in movies Fake Messiah 30 2573 October 19, 2023 at 11:12 pm
  Movies are not for intellectuals Interaktive 95 11483 December 30, 2022 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Christian movies you actually like T.J. 27 1917 December 10, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are "not cinema" EgoDeath 97 4111 October 16, 2019 at 8:49 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Atheist-Friendly Movies Fake Messiah 52 7746 May 15, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Soundtracks from Movies you like Joods 48 8630 May 2, 2018 at 5:20 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Movies you hate but everyone else loves Fake Messiah 77 5624 February 19, 2018 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Movies, SPOIL THE ENDING, IT'S FUN!!!!! Brian37 22 3695 December 27, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0