Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You can call me whatever
You can call me whatever
I have stated this plenty of times before, yet it needs repeating.

Words only have power to insult if one allows those words to have control over one's sensibilities.

Someone can call me a faggot and I will simply ignore it. It will not bother me.

I have been called a faggot and I merely ignored it.

If an individual reacts to being referred by a derogatory term, that individual is giving personal power away and toward the offender.

Claiming personal power over a term among one and one's own kind is not doing anything to empower one's self or community. In fact, it is doing quite the opposite, ensuring that the word will still affect them when used against them.

I have grown past other's petty insults, because in the end I realize that they are immature.

I have become mature by realizing that I refuse to give power to my offender by reacting to his name calling. And thus I become stronger by not using the term myself.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: You can call me whatever
Good for you. But that shit shouldn't go on.
Okay "Whatever"

Wink
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I'm going to keep calling you KitKat. No other name will do.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
The 'outlawing' of words is used to shape the views of the populace going forward, and it's really effective.

It's good for you to not give a shit what some asshole says, but it's still important for it to clearly not be okay for the asshole to say it.

I don't know exactly what sociological/psychological group think is at play revolving around this, but watching the changes in the last 30 years, the needle seems to have moved a lot.
I'm conflicted. I'm not gay but  am disabled. I don't like the word "cripple" myself, but I also realize it may be a generational thing. I grew up as "disabled", and that's what I prefer. It's not demeaning nor is it a coat of sugar. YMMV. "PWD" is the new term, I guess. Neat and tidy when the acronym is used, I admit, but clunky when expanded to what it stands for. 

But at the end of the day, I just do not have the knowledge nor the energy to stand up for what (I think) is right in every situation. So, I tend to let certain things like this slide off my back (is that even the cliche I'm trying to use? Still spacy from a cold).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
In response to the op, I truly admire those individuals who have developed the self-discipline to not react in kind when being treated negatively: IMO, this is an incredibly difficult skill to master.  As a result, I appreciate these individuals and regard them as some of the most unique and talented members of humanity.

(June 10, 2017 at 11:44 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: I have stated this plenty of times before, yet it needs repeating.

Words only have power to insult if one allows those words to have control over one's sensibilities.

Someone can call me a faggot and I will simply ignore it.  It will not bother me.

I have been called a faggot and I merely ignored it.

If an individual reacts to being referred by a derogatory term, that individual is giving personal power away and toward the offender.

Claiming personal power over a term among one and one's own kind is not doing anything to empower one's self or community.  In fact, it is doing quite the opposite, ensuring that the word will still affect them when used against them.

I have grown past other's petty insults, because in the end I realize that they are immature.

I have become mature by realizing that I refuse to give power to my offender by reacting to his name calling.  And thus I become stronger by not using the term myself.

If this is true, then why does this post exist?  Why do you need to tell the world about your lack of concern about something?

I'm not concerned about the noise that crickets make, but there isn't a post about it.
Kit, if we called you whatever, then what do we call whateverist?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
You are a faggot bigot curmudgeon. A figgormudgeon. There, I said it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 16732 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You can't prove to me you are an atheist. Knowledge of God 129 17431 June 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Whateverist