Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not God
Not God
I am not God.

Because I am not God, I have imperfect knowledge, I could be wrong.

If a God exists, is it possible to *know* that God exists?

Or is the only way to know that God exists to be God?
"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: Not God
You're a mind fucker aren't you?
Anyways, I'll try my hand at this.
Actually, I can't Sad but I'll say this: If our logic/knowledge is "imperfect" then so is "God's" (according too the biblical account). Plus, the apple made us all knowing Tongue...
the apple did not make us all knowing. And to be completely honest as far as any of us know we're just a thought thinking up our own thoughts creating our own logic and rules to apply imaginary confines to a limitless space...so yea...Only God is all knowing.
killing time by killing myself slowly
drugs and booze and tobacco companies own me
First book of the bible, first CHAPTER even, read it -.-.
I am a time travelling shape shifting rabbit who is able to hide my identity.

Because I am a time travelling shape shifting rabbit, I have perfect knowledge, I am always correct.

If I exist, is it possible to *know* that I exist?

Tiger
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]
(October 7, 2010 at 12:24 am)krazedkat Wrote: First book of the bible, first CHAPTER even, read it -.-.

He has, I'm sure. I know him. The apple did not make us all-knowing.
(October 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm)FadingW Wrote: Or is the only way to know that God exists to be God?

If you were God, you would know you existed just as we all know we exist. I think therefore I am.

It's possible that a deity could exist who didn't know they were omnipotent though. That is, so long as they were not also omniscient - because if they were omniscient then they surely must know they're "God" if they indeed are.
(October 8, 2010 at 10:11 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote:
(October 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm)FadingW Wrote: Or is the only way to know that God exists to be God?

If you were God, you would know you existed just as we all know we exist. I think therefore I am.

It's possible that a deity could exist who didn't know they were omnipotent though. That is, so long as they were not also omniscient - because if they were omniscient then they surely must know they're "God" if they indeed are.

Omnipotent means all powerful, and omniscient means all knowing. If a deity is omnipotentl then he must have the power to make himself omniscience. But the deity can't be omniscient unless he lacks all power to change any of what his own omniscient enabled him to know.

So the very concept of omnipotence is an absurd self contradictory extrapolations. Little wonder the religious mind take so readily to it and debase itself before it. So:

(October 7, 2010 at 12:05 am)josh.niles Wrote: the apple did not make us all knowing. And to be completely honest as far as any of us know we're just a thought thinking up our own thoughts creating our own logic and rules to apply imaginary confines to a limitless space...so yea...Only God is all knowing.

It's a good thing the apple was overhyped because that gave us room to have some power to change things, unlike god who all knowing everything exactly as it will happen, are thus able to change nothing and is absolutely impotent.

(October 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm)FadingW Wrote: I am not God.

Because I am not God, I have imperfect knowledge, I could be wrong.

If a God exists, is it possible to *know* that God exists?

Or is the only way to know that God exists to be God?

If it is, then it would be awfully silly to worship god unless you have the most ungodly case of the god complex yourself.

(October 8, 2010 at 10:42 am)Chuck Wrote: Omnipotent means all powerful, and omniscient means all knowing.

I know that, that was encompassed in my post.
(October 6, 2010 at 10:07 pm)FadingW Wrote: I am not God.
The premise is flawed - you presuppose there is actually a monotheistic god.

Quote:Because I am not God, I have imperfect knowledge, I could be wrong.
There's no such thing as "perfect" knowledge.

Quote:If a God exists, is it possible to *know* that God exists?
To have a feeling of certainty about? Many theists have subscribed to this faith-based belief without question. The more sensible question is "To the best of our knowledge is God real?"

Quote:Or is the only way to know that God exists to be God?
'Not God', remember? If God as a concept is deliberately setup to be a special case beyond human understanding, retainable knowledge, investigation or scrutiny, all discussion about the topic matter ends.

That's as asinine as stating "I know of a magic pencil so complex you'll never understand how it works even if you try, so don't bother".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3833 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 18 4036 November 28, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15604 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19460 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie