Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god
Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god
Because, god is omni-present, and omni-being and omni-everywhere, so even in absence it’s there for there is no such thing as true absence.

So i heard that recently and i would like to hear from atheists here what you all think of this statement.

Thanks Smile
RE: Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god
(May 27, 2016 at 3:43 am)Blueyedlion Wrote: Because, god is omni-present, and omni-being and omni-everywhere, so even in absence it’s there for there is no such thing as true absence.

So i heard that recently and i would like to hear from atheists here what you all think of this statement.

Thanks Smile

A statement only a moron would make.
Welcome to the forum Smile

That makes no sense at all. You're saying there's always something everywhere... so therefor that something is God? Sounds like you're just calling the universe God or something.

You might like to start by defining what God means, as specifically as possible. Also, you could add why anyone should care if there is such a thing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It's a pseudophilosophical and incoherent statement, sorry. You missed the step in the proof where you demonstrate your first premises.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote: i would like to hear from atheists here what you all think of this statement.

I didn't like it the first time I heard it 20-odd years ago, and my opinion hasn't changed.

If you want to convince us that we believe in God, you first have to demonstrate - convincingly - that God exists. Making an ungrammatical claim that God is everywhere is simply an assertion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 27, 2016 at 3:46 am)robvalue Wrote: Welcome to the forum Smile

That makes no sense at all. You're saying there's always something everywhere... so therefor that something is God? Sounds like you're just calling the universe God or something.

You might like to start by defining what God means, as specifically as possible. Also, you could add why anyone should care if there is such a thing.

Thanks kindly for the warm welcoming, to be clear, now 26 years of age, ive been an atheist up until a year ago, the change was based on the science first, experience later. So at the very least, i would hope no one thinks of me as a religious person, or some god pusher.

Just to note - I only mean to defend this statement to provoke any fermentation of out of the box thinking that may eventuate from this ^^

So to begin, yes one can identify the universe and god as the same thing. Which they indeed are, the only difference is your personal attachment to one or the other in your beliefs of what you may think can only constitute what the universe truly is or isnt.

God means energy in all states of being, from material, to consciousness. All that connects etc etc

Without going into a need for a long breath of explanation, the only difference between an atheistic mindset of the universe and theistic mindset of god, is that the definition of universe a theist believes in, holds that consciousness permeates all, where as an atheist holds consciousness is subject to the material. This will most likely be the major point of discussion if there is to be one on this topic.
Is someone in your area having a sale on unjustified assumptions? Because you seem to have an awful lot of them to hand.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome firstly.
All this stuff is not in the bible, so please tell me where you got these ideas from?

I'd hate to think that you have license to make stuff up just like that!
If that's the case, a disclaimer would've been nice...

[Image: 14uriw.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 27, 2016 at 3:43 am)Blueyedlion Wrote: Because, god is omni-present, and omni-being and omni-everywhere, so even in absence it’s there for there is no such thing as true absence. [...]

Uhm... Firstly - aren't "omnipresent" and "omni-everywhere" the same thing?

Secondly - what does "omni-being" mean? 

Thirdly - what does any of that have to do with believing in a god? If you're trying to say that the universe is god, then I don't believe you. I also don't believe you, when you say that god is omni-whatever, or make any other assertion regarding the nature of an entity, that HASN'T BEEN PROVEN TO EXIST IN THE FIRST PLACE. And I don't believe that gods exist. So how exactly am I "actually believing in god"?

If I told you, that fairies are omnipresent and "omni-being", would you then agree, that you actually believe in fairies?
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 27, 2016 at 4:20 am)ignoramus Wrote: Welcome firstly.
All this stuff is not in the bible, so please tell me where you got these ideas from?

I'd hate to think that you have license to make stuff up just like that!
If that's the case, a disclaimer would've been nice...

Thanks for the welcome Smile

In no way is this a bible handed projection to any of you, religion appeals to me as much as it did while an atheist. 

I simply heard this from a friend. This is purely an idea I'd like to explore with you all, with no claims of knowing better. Only that i have some grounding, some grasp of this topic enough to ideally get some of you to consider this as not just something one would dismiss because it doesn't fit in with an already made opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Even if theism is a failure, it's still superior to atheism R00tKiT 491 36137 December 25, 2022 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23957 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1405 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3824 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  When believing false things is comforting Foxaèr 45 5266 September 26, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2534 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7006 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7884 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84129 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Believing In God Is Extremely Immature. Edwardo Piet 42 6896 October 20, 2017 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Ignorant