Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using sir and ma'am to address people...
Using sir and ma'am to address people...
Is that outdated? Is it underused in favor of "buddy", "bro", "boss", "sweetie"?

I was googling something unrelated and came across this old thread which debates this question. Interesting debate.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Using sir and ma'am to address people...
Nah. Not outdated.

I always say sir and ma'am when appropriate.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
In the grocery store if I have to squeeze through some older ladies I say "excuse me ma'am."
I never use ma'am, but I use sir all the time.

Even on women sometimes.

The sir thing is from my years at the defense contractor. Wasn't required, but I fell into the habit and it seemed to help. One supervisor in 'cubeville' that I did not report to actually hated it. soon, others picked up on his dislike and rapidly, that was the only thing he was ever called.

sorry there, it was all my fault . . .

I did use Ms. there quite a bit. But never ma'am.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Unless you're a kid who's friends with my kid, don't call me ma'am. I'll bite you. All my friends call me sir, though. I think it's cute.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
I have mixed feelings about it. I recognize the polite intent it gives off and it has been ingrained in me after time in the military. I'm also annoyed after having been called 'sir' often enough by people who can't quite get the idea that I'm trans through their heads.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Never really use it come to think it.
I am painfully polite out of habit though.
When talking to people, my first job is to get their name, then I use that to make it personal.

Even at the McDonalds checkout I say, much appreciated, thank you kindly.
Sick, huh?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
BTW, in high school, while I was regarded as 'funny', I was not the class clown. Additionally, while was not in the 'outcast' group, I was far from being in either the popular, cool, or jock cliques.

However, at the defense contractor, in my area of 'cubeville' (and much to my astonishment) I was definitely in the cool, and popular cliques. My status was actually very slow to dawn on me too. On occasion, despite only having a 2 year degree (GASP !!) I also got feedback I could sometimes be unexpectedly brilliant. I once was evaluating a new mock up of a proposed piece of equipment the company was bidding and noted that since the mock up was made from white plastic, despite being nearly completely filled with mechanicals, it was still much easier looking in it and being able to see details as compared to an actual production item that would have been a dull and dark metal casting and seeing inside would have been problematic. Anyhow, the funny and brilliant part was, that was actually one of my job functions, evaluating products for ease of manufacturing and repair. I don't know if the finished product (or anything else they ever made after that) had a white interior, but once I pointed out the beneficial effect, everyone on the design review committee agreed I was correct.

I had a trainee at the time, and until that moment he thought our function was rather nebulous and undefinable. I could see the look on his face that I had taught him something unexpected.

And then my trainee started calling me "sir" . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, I'm not ready to be called sir yet.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(June 26, 2017 at 11:20 pm)J a c k Wrote: Unless you're a kid who's friends with my kid, don't call me ma'am. I'll bite you. All my friends call me sir, though. I think it's cute.

Yeah, but when they call you "sir", in their minds they're spelling it "cur".

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 979 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Make a conversation using only gifs dahrling 10 1889 May 15, 2015 at 11:34 am
Last Post: dahrling
Thumbs Down Beware of using other bank's ATM's!! CindysRain 10 2250 July 17, 2014 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Cato
  Disproving God using HISTORICAL PROOF BlackSwordsman 5 1458 June 22, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why are we still using coal? Chad32 14 2622 January 14, 2014 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Using neuroscience jargon to improve your interpersonal relationships Whateverist 4 1194 November 11, 2013 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  RIP Sir Patrick Moore Cyberman 11 3201 December 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Sir Clive sinclair doesn't use computers anymore. leo-rcc 2 1494 March 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: leo-rcc