Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have You Ever Had a Brilliant Idea
Have You Ever Had a Brilliant Idea
I have always struggled with really original thinking. I can read and absorb what others have written and decide wether I agree, disagree or simply don't know. I am just not a very inventive thinker.

My wife had  brilliant idea of a collapsible ironing board for people that live in flats. But a quick google search showed you could buy one for 15 quid at the local Argos, so back to the collapsible drawing board.

Any inventors, novel philosophies or not batshit insane scientific hypotheses that members here have had a Eureka moment with?

N.B flats=apartments for those that do not speak the Queen's English.
RE: Have You Ever Had a Brilliant Idea
You know how Christmas tree stands are utter shit? When I was a kid (14, I think), I saw Da trying to get all four screws on the stand aligned just so to keep the tree straight, and using bad language the whole time - almost never worked right, he usually ended up tying it to the wall. After the tree came down, I got permission to modify the stand. I ground off that pathetic little tooth at the bottom and soldered in a 6" spike. I took the ring with the screws off the top and made a sort of clamp out of a 4" wide piece of saddle leather with a pair of screws to adjust it.

The next year, we drilled a hole a smidge smaller than the spike vertically up the base of the trunk and hammered the stand onto it. The leather clamp went round the upper legs of the stand and the bottom of the truck. The spike held the tree firmly into the stand and the clamp could be let in or out with the two screws to keep the tree straight. Used it for years.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I've had some far out scientific ideas, but my scientific publications mostly contain rather conservative material. I invented a fun experiment to disprove that neutrinos travel faster than the speed of light involving a giant prism, but then it turned out that it was a simple measurement error.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I've written some songs I think are good. That's as close as I've come to "brilliance" -- I could see it with a pair of powerful binoculars.

Yes, but everyone else think they suck.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 2, 2017 at 7:33 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Yes, but everyone else think they suck.

Kind of my problem too, they either suck or turn out to be completely unoriginal. Wish I had something as interesting a measurement problem like Alex.

Xmas tree stands suck too!

Original music is still a great achievement, at a personal level. Wish i could do that. Have written some pretty odd lyrics for friends in my time.
Exclamation 
In 1976 I made a music "video"  for a friend's band. Super 8 ! Cable TV was new. I thought it would be great to have an all music video channel. Then I smoked another joint and TimeWarner beat me to it.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I removed the concrete base for a grain bin without hiring a heavy equipment contractor to do it.

Dug out underneath one section of the edge and then waited for winter. After the ground froze, I was able to arrange blocking in the hole and then put 2 hydraulic bottle jacks on the blocking and was able to raise the slab up quite a ways. (The slab didn't freeze to the ground since there was sand under it)

After I lifted it on one side, I drove our largest tractor on it, and it fractured. I kept raising the edge in places and driving the tractor on it to crack it in more places until the pieces were small enough to move with the equipment I have.

Just took time and some diesel fuel, saved money doing it myself.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I've had a fantastic idea to make me rich... But it was flawed. I had an idea about inventing a machine I would call a helicopter but then realised that gravity is too strong for it to fly!

ROFLOL

[TSOS, you are a flattard moron].
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
As a writer, it is particularly difficult to create a brilliant idea.

Soon after I conceptualize my idea, I discover that other writers have already written it.

Of course, it is also true that there are no new ideas in the realm of writing. Rather, how the writer approaches the idea and creates the world around that idea is what tends to be different for each book that incorporates the same idea.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy birthday Gawdzilla where ever you are. arewethereyet 6 438 January 12, 2024 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2175 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Have you ever Met-up with an online Buddy? Uberpod 25 1426 December 3, 2022 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Orbit
  How high have you ever been? Frank Apisa 27 2102 June 28, 2021 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  had had and the lexical ambiguity Rhizomorph13 4 356 March 4, 2020 at 4:14 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I never had hangover. purplepurpose 15 1347 February 25, 2020 at 9:11 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1136 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  If Jesus had ascended into Heaven... Jehanne 23 2080 May 13, 2019 at 7:38 am
Last Post: madog
  The WORST Advice Someone Ever Gave You BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1089 April 14, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Fireball