Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society
How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society
Quote:In our digital era of smartphones and social media, it seems nearly everyone suffers from communication overload. Less than 15 years ago, most netizens had just one or two email accounts, texting was tedious and costly, and mobile phones were primarily used to make, well, phone calls.

Today, it’s common for people to manage numerous social media accounts and email addresses. One recent estimate claimed the average internet user has seven social media accounts — excluding email. Chunky mobile phones have been replaced by pocket touchscreen computers that constantly jingle and buzz notifications, pulling their owners away from face-to-face encounters with other human beings into a constantly churning social networking vortex.

Experts who look into such things say that while social networking has its benefits — professionally, personally, politically — it’s also dumbing down the ways people communicate with each other. Having so many channels of communication has overwhelmed our ability to thoughtfully interact online, encouraging cheap and easy forms of communication.

In our digital era of smartphones and social media, it seems nearly everyone suffers from communication overload. Less than 15 years ago, most netizens had just one or two email accounts, texting was tedious and costly, and mobile phones were primarily used to make, well, phone calls.

Today, it’s common for people to manage numerous social media accounts and email addresses. One recent estimate claimed the average internet user has sevensocial media accounts — excluding email. Chunky mobile phones have been replaced by pocket touchscreen computers that constantly jingle and buzz notifications, pulling their owners away from face-to-face encounters with other human beings into a constantly churning social networking vortex.

Experts who look into such things say that while social networking has its benefits — professionally, personally, politically — it’s also dumbing down the ways people communicate with each other. Having so many channels of communication has overwhelmed our ability to thoughtfully interact online, encouraging cheap and easy forms of communication.

Instead of taking the time to formulate a thoughtful reply to an online friend’s social media post, social media users tend to gravitate to using an emoji or firing off a brief comment meant to convey little more than acknowledgment.

“When you look at social media apps, particularly Facebook, the most common action is to ‘like’ something; it’s not to comment, it’s not to post, it’s to ‘like,’” Larry Rosen, co-author of “The Distracted Mind: Ancient Brains in a High-Tech World,” told Salon. “The reason for that is because it takes minimal cognitive effort.”

Indeed, Facebook’s “like” icon has been such a popular way to communicate that last year the world’s largest social network expanded its thumbs-up icon into a suite of five “reactions” icons that represent anger, sadness, surprise, laughter and love, giving users the same depth of communication that could be taught to a chimpanzee.

http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/...munication
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society
Tough to disagree with that. I don't have Facebook or twitter, but all of my employees do. Since cellphones came along, the only phone number I can remember is my own cellphone though too. I can get my wife's number but it takes a few tries. Memory loss comes with age though, so I'm probably normal.
Which came first - dumbed down people or social media? Shallow people with attention spans of a gnat have been around since time immemorial.
At least now with cell phones it's easier to weed out people I don't want to know. People who will publicly identify themselves as someone who spends their days bent over a tiny screen like a brain dead woodpecker might as well not even exist as far as I'm concerned.

-Teresa
LOL, talk about dumbing down. Did you repeat yourself on purpose to make a point? hahahahahahaha

The article has a point but I think that the "dumb" are now communicating where in the past we would have never heard from them except in person.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Social Media isn't dumbing people down. The idiots are just more vocal now. And the idiots see what other idiots are saying, and think to themselves "That's right!"

Countering that are the reasonably intelligent people talking to each other, and seeing that everybody in the world hasn't gone fucking crazy.
Hmm, I shall kudos those post! Lol

I completely agree though. I have FB and mostly hate it. Or is very shallow, but people use it constantly. I can't go out with a friend for lunch without FB sucking the friend in.

I avoid twitter entirely, and all other social media. Call me a dinosaur, I refuse to join a bunch of crap I'm perfectly happy right now without, I won't become an accessory to my phone.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What (in your society) is a 'real man'? FrustratedFool 87 4062 October 27, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Social Media Foxaèr 3 475 September 30, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheist Discussion down Thumpalumpacus 16 1205 June 15, 2022 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  I no longer accept social distancing. onlinebiker 11 1217 April 13, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Are we becoming a masked society? Foxaèr 21 782 June 24, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  There's social distancing, and then there's SOCIAL DISTANCING!!!!! Gawdzilla Sama 8 785 March 24, 2020 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Cats Will Not Take This Lying Down Minimalist 81 9276 September 1, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Shut Everything Down - Barack Obama Just Won The Internet BrianSoddingBoru4 30 2671 August 5, 2018 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Ya knooow, Monica smells; oh ma gosh!: implicit hate and grudge in social life WinterHold 10 1437 July 20, 2018 at 5:12 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 806 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47