Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much does knowledge of linguistics help with learning foreign languages?
How much does knowledge of linguistics help with learning foreign languages?
So, I have two related questions for you. I think no previous knowledge of linguistics is necessary for the discussion.

1. Does the knowledge of regular sound changes help with learning a foreign language related to a language you already know?
For instance, let's say you know English very well. Does it help you with learning German to know the following and similar rules (they apply to the Germanic words and very early Latin borrowings):
English "t" corresponds to German "z", which is read "ts", in the beginning of a word (two-zwei, ten-zehn, tooth-Zahn, tongue-Zunge, twig-Zweig…) and after "r" (heart-Herz…), but corresponds to "s" otherwise (water-Wasser, it-es, that-das, what-was…) except after "s", when it corresponds to "t" (star-Stern, stone-Stein…)
English "th" corresponds to German "d" (three-drei, that-das, thick-dick, mouth-Mund, death-Tod…)
English "v" corresponds to German "b" (seven-sieben, give-geben, live-leben, have-haben…)
English "d" corresponds to German "t" (desk-Tisch, word-Wort, god-Gott, ride-reiten…), but English "nd" corresponds to German "nd" (wind-Wind, hundred-hundert…)
English "oo" corresponds to German "u" (book-Buch, foot-Fuss, too-zu…)
English "one" and "ome" corresponds to German "ein" (pronounced ahyn) and "eim" (pronounced "ahym"), respectively (one-ein, stone-Stein, alone-allein, home-Heim…)
English "ou" corresponds to German "au" (house-Haus, out-aus, show-schauen…)
English "ea" usually corresponds to German "o" (ear-Ohr, east-Osten, easter-Obster, bread-Brot, bean-Bohne, death-Tod…)
I believe this was enough for anyone to get the basic idea.

2. Does knowing an archaic language from some family help with learning modern languages from that family?
For example, I've heard that, if you know Old Church Slavonic, you can basically understand all Slavic languages. Is that true?
RE: How much does knowledge of linguistics help with learning foreign languages?
As far as I know, it varies from person to person, but our human brain works through association so learning languages gets easier if you already know a language similar to it and an ancient root of the language you are trying to learn obviously will have a lot of similarities.

As for knowing those rules, I personally don't find them very useful. While using a language in practice we never think of the actual rules rather we just say whatever sounds right to the ear, and for me just practising with a native speaker without bothering about grammar and such seem a lot more useful.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

RE: How much does knowledge of linguistics help with learning foreign languages?
Well, being German, the above relationships made learning English much easier, but not because I knew the principles. I don't know whether I would have profited from having the abstract knowledge about the rules. Maybe...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Well, it might help you recognize the tricky cognates. You know, death-Tod or too-zu or the likes. The words don't look similar at all. Yet, if you analyze the English word phoneme by phoneme, d-ea-th, and apply the rules, you can correctly predict that the German word would be T-o-d.
Or the likes of it-es or thick-dick. In the first word, the English cognate, by the basic rules, obviously ends with a t. Though it's kinda tricky, if not impossible, to predict from an English word whether the German word has an i or an e (I don't know enough about Proto-Germanic phonology to explain exactly why). Nevertheless, the rules can still help a little even with those words.
But, unless you know exactly what you are doing, those rules might lead you right in the wrong direction when you try to decipher a German text.
In the worst case, they can just help you remember the words you already know, the same way knowing how an English word is pronounced and some basic spelling rules helps with remembering how it's spelled, right?
My native language is Croatian, BTW.

Not understanding what types of rules apply to actually related languages appears to be the root of many, if not most of the, pseudosciences in linguistics.
I don't think that knowledge of the nuts and bolts of a language is necessary to become reasonably fluent, although it would definitely help you do higher-level writing in that language. Think back to childhood, when you learned your first language: Unless you lived in a very odd household, chances are someone didn't lecture you on phonemes and declensions and such -- they just spoke to you, and eventually you made a transition from speaking to writing.

Personally I think that immersion (travelling; watching and listening to shows in a language, reading websites in a language) is the best way to learn to speak with native speakers.
Quote:Think back to childhood, when you learned your first language: Unless you lived in a very odd household, chances are someone didn't lecture you on phonemes and declensions and such -- they just spoke to you, and eventually you made a transition from speaking to writing.
I agree with you on that. Learning syntax and morphology in details doesn't really help you speak a language grammatically, and it could actually be counter-productive. But, if you already know a closely related language, knowing the sound changes might help you remember the vocabulary.
(July 27, 2017 at 2:50 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: So, I have two related questions for you. I think no previous knowledge of linguistics is necessary for the discussion.

1. Does the knowledge of regular sound changes help with learning a foreign language related to a language you already know?
For instance, let's say you know English very well. Does it help you with learning German to know the following and similar rules (they apply to the Germanic words and very early Latin borrowings):
English "t" corresponds to German "z", which is read "ts", in the beginning of a word (two-zwei, ten-zehn, tooth-Zahn, tongue-Zunge, twig-Zweig…) and after "r" (heart-Herz…), but corresponds to "s" otherwise (water-Wasser, it-es, that-das, what-was…) except after "s", when it corresponds to "t" (star-Stern, stone-Stein…)
English "th" corresponds to German "d" (three-drei, that-das, thick-dick, mouth-Mund, death-Tod…)
English "v" corresponds to German "b" (seven-sieben, give-geben, live-leben, have-haben…)
English "d" corresponds to German "t" (desk-Tisch, word-Wort, god-Gott, ride-reiten…), but English "nd" corresponds to German "nd" (wind-Wind, hundred-hundert…)
English "oo" corresponds to German "u" (book-Buch, foot-Fuss, too-zu…)
English "one" and "ome" corresponds to German "ein" (pronounced ahyn) and "eim" (pronounced "ahym"), respectively (one-ein, stone-Stein, alone-allein, home-Heim…)
English "ou" corresponds to German "au" (house-Haus, out-aus, show-schauen…)
English "ea" usually corresponds to German "o" (ear-Ohr, east-Osten, easter-Obster, bread-Brot, bean-Bohne, death-Tod…)
I believe this was enough for anyone to get the basic idea.

2. Does knowing an archaic language from some family help with learning modern languages from that family?
For example, I've heard that, if you know Old Church Slavonic, you can basically understand all Slavic languages. Is that true?

I'd say yes and yes to your questions.

My follow up question would be... What matters more: phonemic similarities or the underlying syntax and grammar?

My (very limited) understanding of linguistics is that languages are grouped moreso on syntax and grammar than phonetic similarities. Phonetic similarities are more a symptom than a cause. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on that.

On a side note, I find these kinds of discussions highly interesting. I want to learn more lol.
Sporadic poster
Quote:My (very limited) understanding of linguistics is that languages are grouped moreso on syntax and grammar than phonetic similarities. Phonetic similarities are more a symptom than a cause. I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on that.
The way languages are proven to be related is by finding simple regular sound changes and finding many examples of them in words that are unlikely to be loanwords (numerals, body parts, basic agriculture…). Sound changes I've listed would be examples. Of course, linguists would try to find as many examples as possible, much more than I did, to make it less likely that those examples are due to chance alone. Grammar can be used to prove language relationships only if you can show that regular sound changes operate in grammatical words (like the conjugation of the verb "be") or, rarely, in affixes (like conjugational endings).
And, yes, I think the schools place too much attention on grammar when teaching linguistics (I also think they are teaching grammar the wrong way, but that's another story), and way too little attention on the laws which govern how languages are related.
I am currently having a discussion about that on a forum about linguistics (because I suggested that two ancient languages, that mainstream linguistics considers unrelated, are, in fact, related), you can follow it if you want to:
http://linguistforum.com/outside-of-the-...-toponyms/
Many of you guys have researched pseudosciences, and we are currently discussing there how to recognize pseudoscience in comparative linguistics and etymology. It may be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Learning without pressure of grades. Brian37 6 1914 August 14, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Still Learning AT7iLA 28 6409 March 14, 2014 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Is science the only way to knowledge? Vincenzo Vinny G. 115 25583 November 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: JDFlood
  Gravity Variations Over Earth Much Bigger Than Previously Thought KichigaiNeko 0 982 September 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Pretty much sums it up... Tiberius 8 2321 February 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist