Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realms Beyond Civ 4 AI survivor
Realms Beyond Civ 4 AI survivor
The other community where I'm active has an AI vs AI competition on Civ4 BtS every so often to see what them crazy AIs get up to when no human's around.

Season three is being started (and Livestreamed) by Sullla next Friday, details in this thread.

Come over, take a look around and even guess who's going to win. It'll be a blast.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
RE: Realms Beyond Civ 4 AI survivor
I was going to buy the newer civ games but what put me off is that you don't seem to be able to get very far into the future

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(July 28, 2017 at 5:40 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I was going to buy the newer civ games but what put me off is that you don't seem to be able to get very far into the future

The biggest problem with five was that their solution to the 1UPT Carpet of Doom was to break every other mechanic in the game, plus the AI couldn't grok it even at the most basic level. Now, frankly that game was so shit at release, not only did they revisit Civ 3 exploits and loopholes that 4 managed to solve they invented new ones all on their own. Comes from hiring a man who's good at coming up with ideas he's got no clue how to implement as lead designer, and the worst programmer ever to work on a Civ game (Alexman, Alex Mantzaris) as his main sidekick.

6's biggest problem is that while a lot of the bugs of 5 have been ironed out (it's almost as if 5 was 6's alpha test), the AI still doesn't have the first clue what it's doing, and now 2K have gone full DLC on the game, adding a new civ each month each of which are in no way calibrated to how the game plays (they are massively overpowered). 6 is probably a very good multiplayer game (the Realms Beyond site already has the beginnings of a strong PBEM culture), but only if you allow only the Aztecs of the DLC civs.

Home
(July 28, 2017 at 5:40 pm)paulpablo Wrote: I was going to buy the newer civ games but what put me off is that you don't seem to be able to get very far into the future

Civilization: Beyond Earth sure takes care of that. Still, I prefer the regular games. They feel more like home.

The problem I'm having with Civ 6 (besides the lack of a world builder or an InfoAddict mod) is that the AI doesn't know how to be aggressive enough. Or maybe cities are just too hard to take. Even the opponents with big advantages in size and technology take forever to conquer as much as they should. I play it on Immortal or Deity level because otherwise I don't get much of a fight.

(IMHO, the best Civ games are the ones where you find yourself as a garrison state, fighting tooth and nail just to survive. Best one ever was a game where I had ten cities on an island facing two AIs controlling continents. They must've nuked me thirty times before they finally conquered me.)
(July 29, 2017 at 12:57 pm)Puke Skywalker Wrote: Civilization: Beyond Earth sure takes care of that.  Still, I prefer the regular games.  They feel more like home.

The problem I'm having with Civ 6 (besides the lack of a world builder or an InfoAddict mod) is that the AI doesn't know how to be aggressive enough.  Or maybe cities are just too hard to take.  Even the opponents with big advantages in size and technology take forever to conquer as much as they should.  I play it on Immortal or Deity level because otherwise I don't get much of a fight.

(IMHO, the best Civ games are the ones where you find yourself as a garrison state, fighting tooth and nail just to survive.  Best one ever was a game where I had ten cities on an island facing two AIs controlling continents.  They must've nuked me thirty times before they finally conquered me.)

From what I can see (even if I wanted to, my computer doesn't have enough rams to play the game, it's full of ewes) cities are easy enough to take, if one is human. The biggest problem with war in 6 is the biggest problem in 5 1UPT, as in the programmers never bothered trying to create or borrow an AI that could use it to half way decent standards.

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sid Meir's Civilization: Beyond Earth Secular Elf 25 3172 May 29, 2015 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Civ Beyond Earth Holden Caulfield 3 1019 November 1, 2014 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Noodly1
  Civ 5 Napoléon 252 26145 September 18, 2014 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Zack
  New Civ V expansion announced jots 0 1024 March 18, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: jots